Tyres on the wrong way for over two years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You don't even need the rotation arrows on the Rubinos to tell you the correct orientation, the tread pattern makes it self evident. And yet...

I think I just go a bit *duh* when spanners, or indeed tyre levers, find their way into my hands.
If it's the front wheel, no great shakes, but putting the rear tyre on the wrong way is much more irritating. Many times have I been stood with the wheel in my hands, like a big steering wheel, and the tyre on loosely, doing the 'rotating the wheel, with a puzzled expression on the face' thing.

The other possibility of course for the front wheel is that the tyre was fitted correctly, and the wheel is the wrong way round
There is no spoon.

I mean I don't expect that VdW forces are the sole contributor to frictional forces in the case of a tyre gripping the road.
But they are most important in making sure that water is a liquid ( if it was completely pure water, it would be right on the transition from solid to liquid though ) at standard temperatures and pressures.

Are you sure the skewers are on the wrong way it could be the bike fitted the wrong way onto the skewers?

True.....

Possibly, but it would require something else to be there as well, bi metallics can react, and similar metals can react in the presence of a suitable antagonist, but your scenario is most likely to be purely mechanical in nature.

Read again: "Two cubes of steel." Where's the bi-metal in that?

Further, there is NO mechanical interlocking at play in the scenario proposed. Friction does not rely on mechanical interlocking.

Friend of mine had their quick release skewers the wrong way round!
Many a true word spoken in jest. I've had riders with the cams on the 'drop' side, they've come a cropper and avoided breaking the drive train, only to smash the cams. And I've also had people with the cams facing lever forward, which is great when the catch on something, and they ride with an open QR cam. By passing the lawyers lips, is difficult, but not impossible to achieve, and riding with a missing wheel, is tricky.

keithmac

Guru
I did A level Physics and Chemistry but can't remember either going into any detail about friction..

All interesting stuff!.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
As it happens I'm having tea with a professional industrial chemist/materials scientist and a genuine rocket scientist (two doctorates no less) later so I'm going to sound them out about the chemical reaction stuff.

Top Bottom