Tyres on the wrong way for over two years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I still can't bring myself to put those little arrows on the wrong way.
Whilst it's obvious ;) that the front wheel should be mounted so the arrow points in the direction of rotation, surely the tyre on the rear wheel should be mounted the other way round. Leaving aside cornering, the grip of the front tyre is used for braking whereas the limiting factor for the rear tyre is not braking but the absolute need to have enough grip for climbing a steep hill out of the saddle on a surface made slippery by the conditions.

. With you on the tread, although I still can't bring myself to put those little arrows on the wrong way. Maybe one day I should, it might be quite a liberating experience.

There's a thread here right now about phobias. Go and report yours - arrowpointingbackwardsaphobia.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Gauge blocks... but the thing is if you were to force them into even closer proximity the atomic forces repel each other. I'm not really sat in this chair... the atoms in my arse are being repelled by the atoms in the chair... else I'd merge into the chair.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I know nothing about VdW forces but a quick wiki suggests one of them is known as "London Dispersion Forces" which I had previously assumed was a synonym for the Metropolitan Police
I think it's Boris' water cannon.

Alan O

Über Member
I'm not really sat in this chair... the atoms in my arse are being repelled by the atoms in the chair... else I'd merge into the chair.

“The gross and net result of it is that people who spent most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles...when a man lets things go so far that he is more than half a bicycle, you will not see him so much because he spends a lot of his time leaning with one elbow on walls or standing propped by one foot at kerbstones.”
Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
It's a great book.

Essential reading for anyone participating in this thread. Or indeed anyone at all.

SWSteve

Guru
The 'nd' figure ( stress corrosion coefficients) are different. The front tyre is designed to cope with more deformations ( due to steering trail, as well as the accelerations that the rear is subject to). The front tyre should have a higher 'nd' than the rear tyre. Again it's casting pearls before swine, for the most part, but if you know what you're doing, the difference, should be advantageous.

Im pretty sure Pearls before Seine used to be in the metro

Alan O

Über Member
Is it as mad as Swim-Two-Birds? I bloody loved that but it was hard work.
I'd say it's a lot less challenging.

Oh, and don't read the Wikipedia article, as it's a book best read from a position of not knowing anything about it - I first read it when a friend handed me his copy and said "Just read it".

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Is it as mad as Swim-Two-Birds? I bloody loved that but it was hard work.

Don't know, I've never read it. I really ought to though.

Interesting coincidence, Brendan Gleeson was on Kermode & Mayo's R5 prog yesterday and mentioned that he had a long-term project to make a film of At Swim-Two-Birds - but don't hold your breath...

Top Bottom