Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would like to know what tyres people are running and what recommendations are out there for some fast summer tyres commuter tyres that wil cope well in both hot weather and light rain.

Currently I have Michelin Speedium 2's they seem ok and would be fine for winter use but I am adament that I was faster on the soft slicks that were on it before, braking was definately better on the slicks.

I hear that Continental make tyres for bicycles and am inclined to give them a go.

My budget, I would probably spend upto £40 per tyre if it were fitted and came with inner tubes.

I would also like black and red tyres if possible.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Michelin Krylion Carbon.
Cracking commuter tyre, available in several colours. Last ages, pretty much puncture proof and roll very very well.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Michelin Krylion Carbon.
Cracking commuter tyre, available in several colours. Last ages, pretty much puncture proof and roll very very well.
I'm wondering if they are being phased out? I was looking for them yesterday and noticed a lot of companies are out of stock or have them down as 'discontinued'.

(I don't need to buy any - I have 3 which I am currently using.)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What is the difference between 23C and 25C?

My current tyres are 700*23C, I'm pretty certain the slicks were thinner.
They are slightly bigger so you can run them at slightly lower pressures. Just a bit more comfortable really, but if you have very tight clearances they might not fit. My singlespeed bike will only just allow a 23C on.

yello

I hear that Continental make tyres for bicycles and am inclined to give them a go.

Do so and form your own opinion. I have ridden Contis for years now, on all of my bikes; using City Contacts, Gatorskins, GP3000, GP4000s and GP 4 seasons. The latter are probably my fave though I'll probably be looking for something cheaper next time around. I'll probably fall back to Gatorksins because I've had phenomenal mileage from them.

You can get pack deals (2 tyres plus tubes) for around the £70-£80 mark from memory, both of GP4 Seasons and the attack force (???) combo.... from Wiggle I think.

As it's summer, I've got the GP4000s on one bike and I do like them. Cheaper than the 4 season, light and fast, maybe just not as resilient. I don't think you can get them in 25s though??

I prefer 25s these days; more comfortable to ride without any downside from my perspective (not being a weight weenie nor a racer).

brockers

I'm wondering if they are being phased out? I was looking for them yesterday and noticed a lot of companies are out of stock or have them down as 'discontinued'.

(I don't need to buy any - I have 3 which I am currently using.)

Got a feeling they're phasing them out or replacing them with Optimum Pro. But looking at their website, they're still listed as current products. There's been supply issues for a few years now - some say the problem started when the factory pulled out all the stops to get the ProRace3s in the shops, and things never seemed to recover.

In full Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells Mode, I've a jolly good mind to fire off an email to them forthwith, and ask them just what they're bally well playing at. We, the cycling masses, demand the continued production of Krylions !

I'm a big conti fan, so naturally I'd recommend them, they are great wearing and have a good p'ture resistance for me. My best bike has 23mm GP 4000s and theyve had 1 pture in 4100miles (and that was when some idiot put 1000+ carpet tacks on the Etape Caledonia route). I binned the original rear but the old front a plain wired grand prix (also 23mm) got transferred to my training bike, its now 6500 old no p'tures. I had a 25mm conti 4 seasons on the rear my old bike which lasted 3800 miles (it was transferred to my training bike halfway). The replacement 23mm lasted 4250miles before being transferred to the rear and is still going strong at 6800 miles in total (no p'tures). I also have conti on my other bike but they are massive 37mm contacts and they are still going at 8200 miles. I will stress though I am a light rider (about 9.5 stone).

Top Bottom