Tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pepecat

Am thinking of getting a new pair of tyres for the bike, but........ I have no clue as to what make are any good (though I know Schwalbe are supposed to be quite good?) or what sort of tyres to get.
I have Bontrager Race on at the moment - came with the bike. Tis a road bike, and I don't generally ride much in the winter, so they're for 'better' weather use really, not commuting, so I guess light and hopefully not (very) puncturable ones would be good. I've had a look at wiggle and just get a bit confused with double skins etc and the weird graphics that show the inside of them.

And if they come in swishy colours, all the better!
Any suggestions? - oh and not TOO expensive either!

Cubist

Still wavin'
Any reason why you don't like the Bonty's? Their Hardcase Racelight are good VFM
http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/119612.html

Blue

Legendary Member
I use Continental GP 4 seasons in the winter and Continental GP 4000s in the summer. I think both are excellent tyres, although they aren't the cheapest. However, they both roll well and I find both reliable and durable.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
+1 for the hard cases, I've been using them for a few years now and they have been very good
+2 My only criticism is that they are a bit 'hard' riding. I've heard good about GP4000 as an all-round fast tyre, Duranos and Krylions too. My personla fave are PR3's (now PR4) which are very good indeed but can cut easily as they are a race tyre.

OP
OP
pepecat

pepecat

Any reason why you don't like the Bonty's? Their Hardcase Racelight are good VFM
http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/119612.html

Oh I do like the bontrager ones! I've got bonty Select on there at the moment. Just I've had the bike for a while and the tyres are starting to look a bit iffy so I was thinking of replacing them. And wiggle don't sell Bontrager, and i got some wiggle vouchers for christmas.....but those in the link seem a decent price, so thanks!

PpPete

Legendary Member
To get significantly better than the Bonti you need to step up to something like a Michelin Pro 3 (Soon to be replaced by the Pro 4, so there may be some bargains about)

The Eighth Man

I like Michelin Pro 3 Race, Parkers International have them for £22.95 each at the moment. They do not seem to puncture and grip really well (MotoGP technology if I remember the sales patter) plus they are easy to get on and off.

zigzag

Veteran
i've had good experience with race-x-light hardcases (hard case finding them now:rolleyes:), schwalbe marathon+, specialized roubaix 2. race tyres like michelin pro3 give a nicer ride, but they are less durable and not resistant to sharp debris on the road. durability, speed, comfort, grip, cost - can't have them all in the same tyre!

OP
OP
pepecat

pepecat

I recently bought some red Schwalbe Ultremo ZX and have been very pleased with them both in performance and looks

Them's the ones I'm after!! My bike is mainly white with silver bits on it, so i reckon the red'll be grand. I'm also of the (probably deluded) opinion that they might help me be a bit more noticeable in traffic, but who knows.

Top Bottom