Uber Bikes for Manchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They're calling them Uber Bikes because of the app and GPS element I suppose but anyway, this Grauniad piece describes a new system of dockless hire bikes.

'Uber for bikes': Chinese firm eyes global dominion with launch in Manchester

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/...al-ofo?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

I hope they work but I can see them all, quite legitimately, migrating down Oxford Road to the student village never to be seen in town again or possibly congregating in popular areas locked to private properties (pissing off the occupants ). They're going to need to be cheap too; I can travel anywhere, all day, on a £4.20 Stagecoach Day Rider.

OP
OP
MossCommuter
I paid my deposit (£29 until the end of July and then £49) and tried out a Mobike today.

It works seamlessly. The app didn't miss a beat, you reserve a bicycle on the app and then go find it with GPS, scan the QR code and it magically unlocks the rear wheel. You ride and then leave it. Anywhere! They want you to leave it in a recognised bicycle parking place and they award points if you leave it in a favoured one.

Points are deducted for misdemeanours and if your points drop to zero you can't unlock a bicycle.

The bicycle itself is, errm, functional. Single speed in a very low ratio (but I ride 42x16 so possibly not the best judge) and very small. I got off to try to extend the seat but it was already maxed out. The brakes are very effective, kind of on or off. Luggage rack is pointless.

50p per trip but i have no idea how long I could have kept it before that was more.

The two I've used I parked by cycle stands and both were gone a short while later so they are being used.

I'll use them again.

straas

Matt
You get 30 minutes for the 50p. They can't be locked to anything so whenever parked should be available to all. Parking them somewhere private or inaccessible or using your own lock will cost you all your credit and prevent you from being able to use the bikes again.

I found the basket pretty handy for carrying a bag. I think the majority of the bikes will remain within town, you probably wouldn't want to do more than 3 miles on them

classic33

Leg End Member
You get 30 minutes for the 50p. They can't be locked to anything so whenever parked should be available to all. Parking them somewhere private or inaccessible or using your own lock will cost you all your credit and prevent you from being able to use the bikes again.

I found the basket pretty handy for carrying a bag. I think the majority of the bikes will remain within town, you probably wouldn't want to do more than 3 miles on them
What happens if you happen to be actually moving at 30 minutes?

OP
OP
MossCommuter
You get charged another 50p. I think if your account is out of credit it slows the bike to a stop then locks the wheel.
That can't be right, can it? (or have I missed the joke?)

straas

Matt
The bike slowing? Apparently not - I think an alarm sounds to notify you, but if you didn't know beforehand you'd not know what it was for anyway...

They're meant to introduce a geofence aswell which stops the bike if it leaves a predefined area - I suppose the trial might be to help them decide where this geofence lies...

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Ah,that's what they were.
When I was walking along Deansgate this morning, these was a guy on a custom made low slung bike with a couple of these on a trailer. He was dropping them off at a bike park with around half a dozen of these bikes already there.

Top Bottom