Uber Bikes for Manchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Think I'd only do a mile on one. 19 mins for 3 miles... 9mph.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Saw my first one in motion today - a lady riding one up Oxford Road. Looked like hard work, but she was going g faster than I was walking...

Odd thing about them is that people insist on leaving them against/in the city's bike racks, despite there being no need for them to lock to or lean on anything.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I used one this morning on my commute in (out tonight so getting the tram home).

I live in Chorlton and had about 10 all very close to choose from. Love the concept. Finding and unlocking the bike was super simple.

The issue is the bike. Even at max height the seat was way way too low for me (34 inside leg), it was uncomfortable .The gear ratio is really conservative, just spinning it the whole way in. It was like riding a kid's BMX.

The app said it took 19 minutes to do 5km/3 miles, so still faster than walking but hard work and slow compared to a 'normal' bike.

I don’t think the bikes are designed for Europeans, let’s hope they don’t take them to Scandinavia.

Agreed. Had a spin on one yesterday around Media City. I found it way too cramped and would not want to do more than 2 miles on it. Shame as the idea and execution is great.I even like the orange mag wheels.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
"They want you to leave it in a recognised bicycle parking place"

No objection to that, they don't need to be left blocking the stands though.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Agreed. Had a spin on one yesterday around Media City. I found it way too cramped and would not want to do more than 2 miles on it. Shame as the idea and execution is great.I even like the orange mag wheels.

I guess "regular cyclists" aren't really the target market. Occasional cyclists seem to prefer to be able to get their feet firmly flat on the ground when they stop so perhaps they're specced to suit that market?

Origamist

Legendary Member
I guess "regular cyclists" aren't really the target market. Occasional cyclists seem to prefer to be able to get their feet firmly flat on the ground when they stop so perhaps they're specced to suit that market?

I think that's fair to a point. They're not likely to assuage the demands of a cycling snob like me, but a couple of extra inches on the seatpost and you would have had me considering leaving my Brompton at home for post work drinks...

Frustratingly, they're not as good as 'Boris Bikes' and that is a disappointing. They do look cool in a 80s sort of way, however

Last edited:
OP
OP
MossCommuter
All true but Manchester city centre is compact. I wouldn't do a commute on one from Chorlton on a daily basis but on the odd occasion I would. From Oxford road to Piccadilly,? Absolutely! Or NQ back to Deansgate? Sure

I hate walking

BRounsley

Über Member
second trip yesterday.....Victoria to Spinningfields, 7 minutes on the bike (hit every traffic light!!!). The killer feature is how quick you can get ridding, the longest part is finding the app on the phone......bikes still too small mind!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
What I couldn't find is whether I can use my deposit to hire more than one bike concurrently. So if I and Mrs N want to cycle to somewhere in Manchester, do we both need accounts or can I use mine for both hires?

Top Bottom