UCI and Paul Kimmage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BJH

Über Member
The UCI never let's us down do they?

So we have former riders writing books, book publishers and umpteen newspapers that they could take through the legal process to defend their "good" (ha ha ) name, but instead they opt to go for Paul Kimmage???

Yet again they demonstrate by their actions exactly why many people believe them to be pathetic.

thom

____
To be fair to the UCI, they are consistent in their incompetence...

festival

Über Member
They obviously see Kimmage as an easy target and by stamping on him it will frighten anyone else from pointing the finger.
The UCI have lined up their cronys, er, witnesses but I hope Kimmage has the means and support to fight this and win.
Then the genie really will be out of the bottle.

thom

____
They obviously see Kimmage as an easy target and by stamping on him it will frighten anyone else from pointing the finger.
The UCI have lined up their cronys, er, witnesses but I hope Kimmage has the means and support to fight this and win.
Then the genie really will be out of the bottle.
Over $2,000 in the defence fund already.
Verbruggen and McQuaid have been suing people for years, kind of like a certain high profile ex-TdF winner.
The damages they're after are around 15,000 euros. They started the case before Tyler's book and USADA's charges so it's actually quite interesting to have the case because there is a certain danger that no charges regarding LA will make it to a courtroom and it would appear Kimmage would have much more ammunition to use in his defence.

It'll be an interesting case. One defence that would be interesting to run is that their reputation is so discredited that nothing Kimmage said could possibly damage it further.

At least it gives us all a chance to put our money where our mouths are by donating to the defence fund.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Could you all try to sign the petition here:
"World Cycling Organization UCI: For president Pat McQuaid to resign and cycling to be cleaned up"
http://tinyurl.com/PatMusgGoPetition
and pass on to as many people as you know - tweet, facebook, the lot! Thanks

Interesting idea.... but have a look round the change.org website that hosts this and you'll realise that it is funded by selling your contact details to "partner organisations" such as charities who want to tap you up for donations.

Don't get me wrong, I think Pat should be shot, never mind just resigning.... but I'm unconviced about signing this petition.

Buddfox

Veteran
Interesting idea.... but have a look round the change.org website that hosts this and you'll realise that it is funded by selling your contact details to "partner organisations" such as charities who want to tap you up for donations.

Don't get me wrong, I think Pat should be shot, never mind just resigning.... but I'm unconviced about signing this petition.

Agreed - I wasn't giving out my address, post code etc.

CotterPin

Can't deal with criticism:
However Verbruggen, who served as UCI president from 1991 to 2005, added that, "We've had legal suits in the past with Dick Pound so everyone that says we have put things under the table or not done our best is sued. Simple. They can come to the court and prove their case. Simple like that."

just jim

The UCI surely must know who they've taken on. Or do they?

"Rough Ride", is widely held up as one of the most seminal cycling books. It tells the tale of Kimmage's journey as professional rider and his predicament and battles as he encountered a world and culture warped by doping. Asked if he had read the book, which was published roughly at the same time his presidency began, Verbruggen said:
"No. No. I have no need to read that. Why should I? I'm not in cycling any more. I've never read it. I don't read very much. I'm sorry to say but there's no need."

If it comes to court, I'm pretty sure Kimmage will be ready.
edit: Maybe not!

Asked what action he would take, he said he didn’t intend entertaining the claim. “I am reluctant to even put a stamp on an envelope and send it back, as that is going to cost me money…the cost of a stamp is actually too much money to waste on those people.”

Noodley

Asked what action he would take, he said he didn’t intend entertaining the claim. “I am reluctant to even put a stamp on an envelope and send it back, as that is going to cost me money…the cost of a stamp is actually too much money to waste on those people.”

:laugh: Excellent response.

OP
OP
B

BJH

Über Member
I see McQ as fallen back on another pathetic response when asked why he isn't suing the newspapers PK worked on

Yes the you will have to ask my lawyers defence

Pathetic

Lets hope he does the sensible thing and realises that his days are numbered and opts to resign and in the meantime stop his nonsense legal action

Top Bottom