UCI and Paul Kimmage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tigger

Über Member
Stories about Nike being involved in UCI corruption - $500,000 payment at time of Verbruggen ?

USADA’s explosive “reasoned decision” has focused new attention on people who have claimed for years that the cyclist’s success was fueled by performance-enhancing drugs – critics who found themselves threatened by Armstrong and his lawyers and marginalized in the media. One of those critics is Kathy Lemond, the wife of American cyclist Greg Lemond, who testified under oath during a 2006 deposition that Nike paid former UCI president Hein Verbruggen $500,000 to cover up a positive drug test.

Another great link Thom, where do you find them? I must say even I find this hard to believe however.

In terms of reforming the UCI, it's just such a massive question and can go in so many directions. So that's why I haven't personally commented on here. Really I have no idea where to start! In my experience of governing bodies in other sports, they are always a law unto themselves and are equally disliked by participants and spectators. I suppose the level of reform depends on the level of corruption. In the UCI's case, I think it may be beyond reform if the rumours we hear are true!

(Edit) Whoops, not sure this is in the right thread!

thom

____
Another great link Thom, where do you find them? I must say even I find this hard to believe however.
Twitter has a lot going for it in terms of info sharing.
It is somewhat unlikely that this amounts to anything but it's just a question that needs to be asked and answered.

But we're doomed to Nike anyhow.

There are a few stories about Verbruggen floating around - see the Sky thread for a link to something from the 80's where Verbruggen implicates Sean Yates in an off-hand manner.

Paul Kimmage has been pretty quiet since the USADA files came out so I guess he's focusing on getting on top of the info. I would imagine that this particular Nike involvement would be queried if his case does go through in December. Edit: if PK feels there is credance to it
McQuaid has certainly got his hands full - perhaps his best way out of this case is if he just says the USADA stuff is getting such a high priority he has no time for it and walks away...

Paul Kimmage has been pretty quiet since the USADA files came out so I guess he's focusing on getting on top of the info. I would imagine that this particular Nike involvement would be queried if his case does go through in December.
McQuaid has certainly got his hands full - perhaps his best way out of this case is if he just says the USADA stuff is getting such a high priority he has no time for it and walks away...

i wondered that. conveniently 'not have time' until it gets dropped by some time limit of the swizz court.

I'm not sure it's as simple as that. Courts tend to cut up rough if they think they're being used as a cheap publicity stunt. The UCI Two would have to acknowledge that what Kimmage was correct. That would have all sorts of implications for their futures and for the no-reform-needed agenda...

not that we'd care much, eh? Or even, if past history is anything to go by, if there was evidence that they had memory spans longer than a goldfish and could grasp that things they do and say today, may come back to haunt them tomorrow.

thom

____
I'm not sure it's as simple as that. Courts tend to cut up rough if they think they're being used as a cheap publicity stunt. The UCI Two would have to acknowledge that what Kimmage was correct. That would have all sorts of implications for their futures and for the no-reform-needed agenda...

not that we'd care much, eh? Or even, if past history is anything to go by, if there was evidence that they had memory spans longer than a goldfish and could grasp that things they do and say today, may come back to haunt them tomorrow.
McQuaid could drop the case, in particular if there was an out of court settlement. He just needs a plausible story to go with doing it without a settlement to boast over.
But I'm speculating - no point in arguing.

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
McQuaid could drop the case, in particular if there was an out of court settlement. He just needs a plausible story to go with doing it without a settlement to boast over.

He might stand his ground - considering that the UCI are not the sole agency in overseeing / managing / reporting on the testing regime and any subsequent adverse analytical findings at the TdF

Any cover up seems to imply the French Sporting Ministry and / or its subsidiary agencies (LNDD for testing and CPLD for reporting) are complicit

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I can't see Kimmage going for the out-of-court settlement unless he runs out of cash to fight the case through. He's never shown himself one to compromise in the past.

thom

____
I can't see Kimmage going for the out-of-court settlement unless he runs out of cash to fight the case through. He's never shown himself one to compromise in the past.
McQuaid and Verbruggen initiated the proceedings. It's a civil claim. I would assume that irrespective of Kimmage, they can choose to drop the proceedings.
Edit: actually post pub, I don't think what i said would make sense - you're bound to be right @Bollo in that Kimmage must have a say.
It wouldn't be a good legal system if you could bring random civil claims and just drop them before trial without penalty.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Since the case is all about reputation, the more this goes on, the less McQuaid and, even more so, Verbruggen, are going to have any public reputation that is capable of being damaged.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The number of official sources who have accused the UCI of corruption and incompetence grows daily making their 'witch-hunt' of Kimmage ever more embarrassing.
Syvlia Schenk, Anne Gripper, Cycling Australia, WADA, USADA to name but 5...

Top Bottom