UCI Road World Championships 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was a bit surprised to see Wiggins / Froome / Cavendish & Dowsett DNF. Maybe got caught up in that big crash with a few laps to go ? Or lost interest ?

Buddfox

Veteran
I really didn't get what EBH was doing. He was off chasing Gilbert with Kolobnev and Valverde, and then he sat up and started looking around instead of continuing to chase him down. In the meantime, Gilbert's gap become unbridgeable. EBH clearly had something left because he then started riding again and made sure of second.

I'm glad someone else said this - I thought it was an incredibly disappointing end to what had been up to that point a fantastic race. Who wants to finish second in anything? EBH could have at least had the balls to try and chase him down - he might not have made it, he might have finished fourth rather than second, but what difference does that really make? I don't think anyone's about to reel off a list of riders who have finished second at the world championships. But what was so perplexing is that he really did seem to have the legs for another push - and Gilbert looked like he might have cracked under the pressure on that second ramp up. It was so disappointing to see them sit up and look round.

Congrats to Gilbert though, he waited and waited and then just blew off the front. And to the Belgian team who despite all the breaks, the crash etc. still had five riders in the decisive group.

thom

____
I'm glad someone else said this - I thought it was an incredibly disappointing end to what had been up to that point a fantastic race. Who wants to finish second in anything? EBH could have at least had the balls to try and chase him down - he might not have made it, he might have finished fourth rather than second, but what difference does that really make? I don't think anyone's about to reel off a list of riders who have finished second at the world championships. But what was so perplexing is that he really did seem to have the legs for another push - and Gilbert looked like he might have cracked under the pressure on that second ramp up. It was so disappointing to see them sit up and look round.
Boasson Hagen was unable to go with Gilbert when he attacked on the Cauberg but then surged clear himself to secure second place.
"It was very good to get second place and we were close to gold. My teammates rode well and did a great job. I am very grateful to them. Gilbert was very strong and there was nothing I could do," he said.

From memory, I think this is EBH's best ever showing in a one day race.
Freire was cheesed off with Valverde for not going with the plan and waiting for him on the final climb of the Cauberg.

Buddfox

Veteran

I guess that depends on your view of what is important - he won two one day races late in the season, the Vattenfall event and GP Ouest-France, and looked strong in doing so, particularly the second I thought. Valverde was more circumspect: "We just didn't get it together. There was no collaboration between any of us because we were not far from the line and each of us had a medal in our heads."

EBH may have felt he couldn't have caught Gilbert, but he might at least have tried, or do I ask too much...? He obviously felt a definite second was better than a shot at glory and finishing fourth. I find the former much less appealing to watch than the latter.

thom

____
I guess that depends on your view of what is important - he won two one day races late in the season, the Vattenfall event and GP Ouest-France, and looked strong in doing so, particularly the second I thought. Valverde was more circumspect: "We just didn't get it together. There was no collaboration between any of us because we were not far from the line and each of us had a medal in our heads."

EBH may have felt he couldn't have caught Gilbert, but he might at least have tried, or do I ask too much...? He obviously felt a definite second was better than a shot at glory and finishing fourth. I find the former much less appealing to watch than the latter.
Here's Freire being cheesed off.
Edit: EBH gets 170 world ranking points for coming 2nd in the WC. He got 80 points for winning the GP Ouest-Plouay. That only says the WC result is considered significantly more prestigious by the UCI although others have a right to a different opinion.

tigger

Über Member
Missed the last 30 mins due to family commitments but it was a great race up to then I think. Looking forward to the highlights...

Really chuffed for Gilbert, probably my favourite rider along with the Dirty Steak Eater. A proper rider, not the best of season's by his standards but he really is good on a bike!

fimm

Veteran
According to David Millar during the commentry (and I am another who thought he was excellent) the group of three behind Gilbert were all looking at one another to try and avoid dragging the others up to Gilbert. EBH obviously eventually got the break, but too late to catch Gilbert.
(Not that I claim to be any sort of expert, but that is my understanding of what David Millar was saying.)

oldroadman

Veteran
Here's Freire being cheesed off.
Edit: EBH gets 170 world ranking points for coming 2nd in the WC. He got 80 points for winning the GP Ouest-Plouay. That only says the WC result is considered significantly more prestigious by the UCI although others have a right to a different opinion.

The points are very important for a world tour team, and will help a rider's contract. Bear in mind this is a living and a rider has a certain lifespan at the top, from which to maximise his earnings. So taking an extra 170 ranking points to a team is all helpful when contracts get negotiated. The win was gone, no chance to recover that, go for the next best option, no need for silly (and costly) heroics.
That is the world of professional sport, pointless heroic chases resulting in lower placings that may have been better are not a serious option.

Top Bottom