UCI Road World Championships Doha 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
I think that i have never seen a more boring world championship than this years. The course in the middle of a desert was non descript, the racing in all classes was boring and the level of support was frankly nil. Did the UCI take the money for what it was worth and pocket the cash? If this is taking world cycling out of Europe and the other players around the world to showcase the sport, I think they have failed miserably.
Some of which I can understand, the parcours was a bit dull. But to say a race was boring when the crosswinds came into play and Belgians put the hammer down splitting the race into multiple echelons....?
That was some pursuit, and if that's boring I have to assume you've not seen a crosswind race or had the opportunity to race in one. Pleasure it ain't. One big scrap to get in the first or second group, flat out for 20+ kilometres with little chance of doing anything if you don't catch the train at the start. That...is a proper race on the flat, something Benelux country riders are extremely well practised at. Opening a winning move with 150km to go, that's brave and not a bit dull.
Not the best for GB though, riding pempo for 100km and then five of nine don't make the front or second group...not a great show. Thank goodness for Cav and Blythe, and if it had come together at the front two more GB, Thwaites quite the package there.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Some of which I can understand, the parcours was a bit dull. But to say a race was boring when the crosswinds came into play and Belgians put the hammer down splitting the race into multiple echelons....?
That was some pursuit, and if that's boring I have to assume you've not seen a crosswind race or had the opportunity to race in one. Pleasure it ain't. One big scrap to get in the first or second group, flat out for 20+ kilometres with little chance of doing anything if you don't catch the train at the start. That...is a proper race on the flat, something Benelux country riders are extremely well practised at. Opening a winning move with 150km to go, that's brave and not a bit dull.
Not the best for GB though, riding pempo for 100km and then five of nine don't make the front or second group...not a great show. Thank goodness for Cav and Blythe, and if it had come together at the front two more GB, Thwaites quite the package there.
Yes, I thought Thwaites was very impressive.

sleaver

Veteran
Degenkolb seemed a bit annoyed with Debusschere and thought he was in need of a quick shower :smile:

A bit after their tet a tet, the TV cameras showed a moment where Degenkolb looked behind to only see a Belgium rider on his wheel. All it needed was for the Belgium rider to give him a thumbs up with a big grin on his face.

On a more serious note, why didn't anyone attack a lot sooner than the last few k's? Was the pace just to high, were they all knackered or just some other reason?

Reactions: mjr

jarlrmai

Veteran
When they were spun out in the biggest gear they had I think that had something to do with the lack of attacks.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Never. The flat lands are notorious for winds, but they're not as chaotic as those sandstorms looked. Any wind-induced falls I've seen have been when racers emerge from behind some shelter (buildings, earth banks...) and get side-slammed by a gust, sometimes into the rider alongside.
I saw a female rider on TV blown down by a gust of wind. It was a stage race in Ireland and she was the lone leader on a beak mountain stage. She remounted and still won.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Guys, what did you think of BBC's coverage? I prefer ITV 4's
Oh, it would have been great to hear Gary Imlach's intros to those races! :laugh:

In general, that BBC team weren't as good as ITV's France lineup but better than their Britain one IMO.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
ITV4 kind of know they mainly have viewers who know pro cycling, but the BBC kind of has to cover less knowledgeable viewers as well.
I don't remember the BBC coverage doing anything that the ITV Tour coverage doesn't, despite their highlights being two and a half hours, rather than ITV's one. It didn't have any of the Neducational films or historical features that the Tour has. I suspect it was even less accessible than ITV's coverage is. Did I miss something stunning when I wandered off?

I don't remember the BBC coverage doing anything that the ITV Tour coverage doesn't, despite their highlights being two and a half hours, rather than ITV's one. It didn't have any of the Neducational films or historical features that the Tour has. I suspect it was even less accessible than ITV's coverage is. Did I miss something stunning when I wandered off?
Yeah, there was strippers.

Top Bottom