UCI Road World Championships Doha 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
To start the conversation, who do members think should be in the GB team given that the course is completely flat?

Last edited:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
To start the conversation, who do members think should be in the GB team given that the couse is completely flat?
Singer, artist or architect? :giggle:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Cav will be the main man one assumes so he'll need strong support during the race and a lead out.
Stannard, Swift, Rowe, Cummings, Thomas...

OP
OP
brommers

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
Cav will be the main man one assumes so he'll need strong support during the race and a lead out.
Stannard, Swift, Rowe, Cummings, Thomas...
Yes. I think that Froome will be left to focus on the TT. What about McLay/Blythe as a back-up for the sprint, or will that be Swift?

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
He's not really that British is he? Whatever that means.
:unsure:

oldroadman

Veteran
He's not really that British is he? Whatever that means.
And Mr Tchmil was not really what nation? Now a naturalised Belgian and resident there for years. Mr Froome has British parents and entitlement to a British passport. Just like a case I know of a person born in Paris with one British and one Russian parent. Three passports technically possible. this person chose to ride as British.

oldroadman

Veteran
On the proper subject, worlds, just have two sprinters (just in case, and GB should get a 9 rider team on UCI points) and seven big engines. Obvious picks G, Yogi, Luke Rowe, Steve Cummings for a start, Swift and Cav as finishers. Add more big diesels of your choice. If the team is 9 then up to 14 can be nominated, 9 to ride. Alex Dowsett in there somewhere and also riding TT, though current form does not go far past Martin and Kiryenka as top step picks.
Women clearly Lizzie, Molly Weaver, Dani King, plus any two other diesels again. Team is, 5 I think.
Pan flat it may be, but heat and wind will play a big part in the outcome.

OP
OP
brommers

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
Pete Kennaugh was strong in the Vuelta. I don't think that the Yates boys are workhorses, so wouldn't take them. I was impressed with James Shaw's efforts for Lotto Soudal at the front of the peloton in the ToB, but at only just turned 20, too much pressure on his young shoulders. Tao GH will probably go in the u23. Hugh Carthy needs a rest, as his form has badly tailed off.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
(unless she burned her bridges with her reaction to non-selection for Rio.) It would be highly unprofessional of BC to permanently blacklist riders like Jess Varnish, Dani King, and Hayley for their outspokenness (rather than dealing with the issue), but I wouldn't rule it out.

OP
OP
brommers

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
I know it's nothing to do with this thread, but does anyone know why GB are not sending a team to the European Championships this coming week?

Top Bottom