UCI Road World Championships Doha 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
No Froome (no surprise) no Yates (neither) no Kennaugh in the mens.
No Lizzie in the ladies.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No Lizzie in the ladies.
"Reigning women’s world champion Lizzie Deignan (nee Armitstead) has made selection for the women’s elite race" ?

Summary:

men: 9 road racers and 2 TTers from Adam Blythe, Mark Cavendish, Stephen Cummings, Alex Dowsett, Dan McLay, Luke Rowe, Ian Stannard, Ben Swift, Geraint Thomas, Scott Thwaites;

women: 8 from Alice Barnes, Hannah Barnes (also TT), Lizzie Deignan, Dani King, Laura Massey, Annasley Park, Abby-Mae Parkinson, Eileen Roe, Hayley Simmonds (TT only);

u23 men: 6 road racers and 2 TTers from Gabriel Cullaigh, Scott Davies, Jon Dibben, Chris Latham, Tao Geoghegan Hart, James Shaw.

I think the men are short on breakaway-killers and won't win unless they get someone in the main breakaway, another big team misses the break and helps chase or probably two riders play an unusual role. The other two squads look like fair picks, don't they?

OP
OP
brommers

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
Can't understand why Thwaites is in place of Kennaugh, who was brilliant in the Vuelta. I can understand McLay being there as backup for Cav.

oldroadman

Veteran
Can't understand why Thwaites is in place of Kennaugh, who was brilliant in the Vuelta. I can understand McLay being there as backup for Cav.
It's pan flat. Thwaites a better pick for the course can be a reason, he's another good rouleur. The team will have been considered bearing in mind crosswinds. A look at women and U-23 sees a similar pattern. No point in sending super skinny climbers for this one. As far as I can recall, GB get 9 riders in elite, 8 in Women, 6 in U-23. More or less the maximum, it's all based on national rankings.
If they can take the heat, some strong riders from Belgium/Netherlands could make the last hour or two very hard for everyone.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Excuse my naivety but what is a breakaway-killer? Who would qualify as one?
A rider who sits near the front of the peloton for hours at a time, driving it on and keeping the breakaway within catchable distance. Rowe and Stannard definitely qualify. Tony Martin has been seen in that role fairly often so maybe Dowsett could but will he be cooked after the TT? Cummings and Swift can do it but I feel they'd be better trying to break away, so probably won't both do it unless they're convinced to bet everything on Cav again, like Copenhagen. I'm expecting Thomas and whichever other sprinters are selected to be Cav's lead-out but ready to have a go if something goes wrong and Cav's not in the front group. It looks like really difficult to pick an obvious tactic with that squad... so maybe the plan is to surprise everyone, like Froome's frog on a skateboard at the Tour.

Apparently the breakaway killer is Cheng Ji :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom