Ugh - least favourite time of year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cronorider

It's so easy in the summer - just put on shorts ands a jersey and off I go. Doesn't matter where or in which direction, I know it's gonna be warm. Now every day it just feels cold. What to wear? Short finger gloves, long finger? Long sleeve base layer or short sleeve with arm warmers? Tights or leg warmers? Helmet liner? Which helmet liner? Bigger pair of shoes with thicker socks? Shoe covers? Jacket or vest? How much of this stuff am I gonna have to remove later? Where to go? How windy is it? I know some people prefer this time of year - but give me the heat any day...

vickster

Legendary Member
First World problems eh

arch684

Veteran
It's so easy in the summer - just put on shorts ands a jersey and off I go. Doesn't matter where or in which direction, I know it's gonna be warm. Now every day it just feels cold. What to wear? Short finger gloves, long finger? Long sleeve base layer or short sleeve with arm warmers? Tights or leg warmers? Helmet liner? Which helmet liner? Bigger pair of shoes with thicker socks? Shoe covers? Jacket or vest? How much of this stuff am I gonna have to remove later? Where to go? How windy is it? I know some people prefer this time of year - but give me the heat any day...
This made me laugh,living in the west of Scotland four seasons in the one day all year round

NickNick

The wind has been the one really getting to me, its my first autumn properly cycling and its been particularly windy around here. The first time I felt a gust of wind feel like it was shifting my front wheel from under me was a shock to say the least!

I've also had the clothing dilemma as bought summer kit, got a few weeks of nice weather and then the end of august and most of september was ridiculously cold for the time of year. Arm warmers seem to be a god send for now, although cold feet are starting to become a problem.

Arm warmers at the moment. Still about 13/14 degress and the wind is not carrying much of a chill. When it gets below that then it's time for a base layer and leg warmers too, unless you get wet, then you wish you'd put a base layer on.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Rule 5. MTFU :laugh:

OP
OP
C

Cronorider

DSCN3346.jpg

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I just wait until it's reasonably warm, doesn't take long. (6months at most!)

Seriously, rain is the biggest variable and can make a winter ride horrific if you're not prepared. but cycle on a dry day and it's just a matter of layers.

si_c

Guru
If you're cold, ride harder.

bpsmith

Veteran
I am still in shorts and short sleeves. I run warm when on the bike and just know that I would be melting if over dress. Sometimes a touch cold starting out though. I recently bought a Castelli Alpha Jersey which makes it a touch easier when Wet and/or Windy. Used it twice now. Was a little bit warm on occasion, but stayed coll enough overall and avoided getting wet. :smile:

Drago

Legendary Member
I like the cold. Being so huge and musclebound (cough) I don't do well in the heat. No matter how cold it is I can bung on another jersey, but once the mercury hits 13C I'm stripped naked and sweating a good 'um, clean out of options.

Give me the cold any day.

Top Bottom