Ugly Rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Today I did a recce for a BC Guided Ride from St Mary's Stadium in Southampton to the Winchester Criterium this Sunday. The first part of the route kinda follows NCN246 from the city centre north west to Redbridge and the start of the M271 before turning north out into the sticks.

Feck me if that's the ugliest stretch of riding I think I've ever done. Just ..... horrible. If you’d like to mix it with 40tonners from the port, ride past strip development industrial units, a railhead, stacks of containers, cut-and-shut garages and a congested six lane trunk-road and through litter-strewn copses that probably hide at least one body apiece , then I recommend this route. Otherwise, not so much.

So what’s your route that delivers on the fugly? I’m not talking somewhere that’s just a bit busy or unpleasant for cycling, but full-on wasteland or dystopian nightmare.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
…and it starts at St Mary's to boot :evil:(Fratton Park would make no less an apocalyptic start point, though). That part of Southampton is nasty to ride in, no doubt about it.
Round here: Market Way roundabout (shudder), Eastern Road bike path (definition of a necessary evil), the A27 alongside North Harbour, Paulsgrove, Leigh Park....

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
…and it starts at St Mary's to boot :evil:(Fratton Park would make no less an apocalyptic start point, though). That part of Southampton is nasty to ride in, no doubt about it.
Round here: Market Way roundabout (shudder), Eastern Road bike path (definition of a necessary evil), the A27 alongside North Harbour, Paulsgrove, Leigh Park....
If the Tricorn Centre was still part of the skyline I'd say we have a winner - that part of Portsmouth is quite scabby despite the supposed historical interest from HMS Nelson.

If I needed an omen of how visually unappealing today's ride was going to be, it started with a 6ft picture of Matt Le Tissier's face along the tribute wall on the foot/cycle-bridge out of St Mary's.

Bourton on the Water. All those identical cotswold stone houses and bridges, fighting your way through chinese tourists, the bridges are too small, especially in the model village
Bourton-on-the-Water-9148.jpg
:smile:
edit: not my picture by the way - far too much hdr processing for my taste

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
The worst route ever was when I completely messed up the GPS and ended up coming through Ashford on the busy roads and through industrial estates and terrible pedestrian walkways... :wacko:

Levo-Lon

Guru
I often thought id hate to cycle around Cambridge.
Its ok on foot but in or on anything with wheels!!
And london,infact most inner cities.

Slick

Guru
Almost anywhere in a city is never going to be great, at least outside the center anyway. Glasgow is no different and if you want to head out to some of the best parts of the country, you have to cycle past not the worst but certainly not the prettiest.

rrarider

Veteran
Bootle-Liverpool, the dock road from Millers Bridge to the city centre. At least the dreadful potholes mean that you have to keep your eyes fixed on the road surface, thereby avoiding looking at the scenery.

Top Bottom