Ugly Rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I've just thought of an unlikely one. On a ride from Hook of Holland to Utrecht to watch the Tour prologue in 2015, the ferry was late so me and my ride chum had to two-up time trial the most direct route, which included a loooong section of fietspad running alongside the A12. The combination of intensive farming, enormous distribution centres and the concrete wall of the motorway running alongside felt like the opening scene of the new Bladerunner where he visits the insect farm.

Alan O

Über Member
Bootle-Liverpool, the dock road from Millers Bridge to the city centre. At least the dreadful potholes mean that you have to keep your eyes fixed on the road surface, thereby avoiding looking at the scenery.
Oh yes, that's a terrible stretch - and the worst potholes are at junctions.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Fleetwood to Clevelys via the town centre and fish port. There's a small enclave of Regency buildings in the town centre but the rest is horrible and smells of fish. Via the seafront is far nicer, up or down depending on wind direction.

Bolton le Sands to Morecambe is ghastly; usually into a stiff headwind and the road is in shocking condition; you pass numerous empty shops, failing hotels and stinky chippies.

philk56

Guru
The final few miles of the Devon coast to coast - lovely riding until you hit Plymouth :excl:

Sixmile

Veteran
I'm shocked no one has mentioned Rhyl.

Whilst Rhyl isn't particularly stunning but it has very decent cycling facilities to at least get you through it including a good bike shop & adjoining cafe. I would agree with the other comment about the industrial area from north wales to Chester though.

Closer to home, riding north out of Belfast towards the coastal cycleway there's an animal feed factory. It's not so much about the ugliness but the taste in the air for 1/2 a mile or so is stomach churning.

U

User169

I've just thought of an unlikely one. On a ride from Hook of Holland to Utrecht to watch the Tour prologue in 2015, the ferry was late so me and my ride chum had to two-up time trial the most direct route, which included a loooong section of fietspad running alongside the A12. The combination of intensive farming, enormous distribution centres and the concrete wall of the motorway running alongside felt like the opening scene of the new Bladerunner where he visits the insect farm.

I work in Utrecht and ride there once a week from Delft - the first 20km along the A12! It’s a silky smooth path though it has to be said.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I wish I could give you a thousand likes for this.

Not only is it one of the ugliest tagnuts on the derriere of the post industrial North West, it absolutely stinks to high heaven.

Go west, swing left past Hough Green Station, past all those early 1970's Jerry built eyesores... And the smell goes away, and you hit a bit of countryside. Which is nice.

And then you hit Netherley....

Top Bottom