Ugly Rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Heading south along the Northumberland coastline will bring you to Lynemouth power station. From there to the other side of Blyth is the most godawful ride. It's made all the more ugly by the stunning beauty of the coastline to the north.

Manchester
?
Manchester is a wonderful wonderful city.
Better than London in some significant ways.
Have also done a very nice fully loaded ride from Manchester to the Ribble Valley.
Or do you mean it's bad for cycling?

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
In fact, here's the worst Widnes-related ride.

After having negotiated the Runcorn expressway, cross the old bridge. Drop down off the flyover and turn off to Ditton Road. Left past the old Ditton Junction station and carry on through Halebank and along Hale Gate Road into Hale Village. Through the village, and along Hale Road into Speke. Through the estate, up the road that leads to the airport, turn left at the lights and finish up in Garston "Village".

If there is a more stinking, pot-holed, dangerous, desolate and thoroughly depressing ride than that anywhere on the planet (at least outside London), I've yet to encounter it. You'll probably want to turn around from Garston, cycle back to the airport, book the next flight to Switzerland and check into Dignitas.

In fact, here's the worst Widnes-related ride.

After having negotiated the Runcorn expressway, cross the old bridge. Drop down off the flyover and turn off to Ditton Road. Left past the old Ditton Junction station and carry on through Halebank and along Hale Gate Road into Hale Village. Through the village, and along Hale Road into Speke. Through the estate, up the road that leads to the airport, turn left at the lights and finish up in Garston "Village".

If there is a more stinking, pot-holed, dangerous, desolate and thoroughly depressing ride than that anywhere on the planet (at least outside London), I've yet to encounter it. You'll probably want to turn around from Garston, cycle back to the airport, book the next flight to Switzerland and check into Dignitas.
That was once a regular route of mine: Flat though! I was thinking of revisiting it for old times sake. I can count on you to accompany me, right?

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
?
Manchester is a wonderful wonderful city.
Better than London in some significant ways.
Have also done a very nice fully loaded ride from Manchester to the Ribble Valley.
Or do you mean it's bad for cycling?

It's a massive blight on the landscape. The peak district would be just around the corner for me if it weren't for that feckin eyesore. I'm sure there are people who love the big city and bright lights and and so on, but I personally hate it. One of the reasons I go cycling is to escape the urban built up bollocks that is Greater Manchester.
I wish someone would nuke it.

It's a massive blight on the landscape. The peak district would be just around the corner for me if it weren't for that feckin eyesore. I'm sure there are people who love the big city and bright lights and and so on, but I personally hate it. One of the reasons I go cycling is to escape the urban built up bollocks that is Greater Manchester.
I wish someone would nuke it.
each to their own vantage, won't go on with my praises for manchester or it will divert the thread.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
That was once a regular route of mine: Flat though! I was thinking of revisiting it for old times sake. I can count on you to accompany me, right?
Oh yeah, now you're talking.

In fact, I notice there's a city bike station at Garston Village, so we could take a couple of steeds from there (assuming they haven't been taken apart by the local "lids"), and do that journey in reverse. Perhaps stop for refreshments somewhere in the wonderful Halton Leas shopping mall (formerly Runcorn Shopping City), then head back along the same route.

Smashing. I think that may make me give up cycling for good. I think that would have made Hinault in his pomp give up cycling for good.

One good thing about Widnes, though; it's not Sintellens. I've never ridden a bike there as I'm told a bloke with a red flag has to walk in front of you, so as not to frighten the locals, but I'd imagine a jaunt from Peasley Cross to Parr could rival the above.

In fact, I notice there's a city bike station at Garston Village, so we could take a couple of steeds from there (assuming they haven't been taken apart by the local "lids"), and do that journey in reverse. Perhaps stop for refreshments somewhere in the wonderful Halton Leas shopping mall (formerly Runcorn Shopping City), then head back along the same route.

Smashing. I think that may make me give up cycling for good. I think that would have made Hinault in his pomp give up cycling for good.

One good thing about Widnes, though; it's not Sintellens. I've never ridden a bike there as I'm told a bloke with a red flag has to walk in front of you, so as not to frighten the locals, but I'd imagine a jaunt from Peasley Cross to Parr could rival the above.
Smashing: We can celebrate with Widnes sunrise after

o.jpg

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I work in Utrecht and ride there once a week from Delft - the first 20km along the A12! It’s a silky smooth path though it has to be said.
They were digging the bugger up in 2015!

That's what I'm talking about! I'd join you but I get a nosebleed north of Reading.

Brains

Legendary Member
We cycled from London to Dover, (Via Rochester, Whistable, Deal ), mostly using NCN1, the countries premiere cycle route from the main port to the capital.
There is a section in Gravesend (Gordon Prominade to Wharf road) that I would show you, except even that it's not even on Google view!

The nations main cycle route goes through the arse end of an industrial estate, then goes through a gap in the fence and down a very narrow footpath with a concrete wall on one side with steel fence posts keeping the razorwire in place, I honestly thought we had gone wrong, and it was not a place I would go on my own even in broad daylight.

This section of the route would not be usable by anything out of the ordinary, such as skinny tyres, tandems or recumbents or a night.

A few miles on we met 3 Dutch girls going in the opposite direction. We told them to get the train into London, as the already dreadful cycle route, for them, would only get worse, a lot worse .

Having said which, I was very impressed with the Viking Way cycle route between Whistable and Deal, it was almost European level cycling, one to be repeated.

A few miles on we met 3 Dutch girls going in the opposite direction. We told them to get the train into London, as the already dreadful cycle route, for them, would only get worse, a lot worse .

Having said which, I was very impressed with the Viking Way cycle route between Whistable and Deal, it was almost European level cycling, one to be repeated.
I know the short bit you mean Brains. It is rather wierd to say the least, though perhaps you were exaggerating a tad with your advice to the Dutch girls :smile: At the risk of diverting the thread away from the interesting original theme, agree with you about the Viking Way, Wonderful. Rode it recently and took my time so went down to all the beaches which folk often whizz by. I think it's particularly good slightly off season. Oh and in Ramsgate visit the twin wonders of Pugin's church and the spoons.

Top Bottom