Uh.... Just Window Shopping.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Not always a new cassette is needed with a new chain. Normally one gets 2 or 3 chains to one cassette. The only way to tell is to change the chain and see if you start having issues with some gears and if so then put the old chain back or change the cassette. Buy a chain measuring tool and then you can measure your chain on a regular basis..... when the chain has stretched to .75 then replace it and you would be fine with the cassette.

I totally forgot about 'chain stretch' actually - this was another factor that was mentioned. They told me they tried the new chain on but it wasnt playing nice with the existing setup so they put the old chain back on. Im still learning about the more 'in depth' arts of bicycle maintenance so i'll just have to take their word for it.

With that being said though, I was eying up a new Ultegra Cassette that was on offer on wiggle while i was checking out the brakes.

Its going to get chillier here in london before it gets warmer so ive spent money on getting better thermal wear which i need rather then unnecessary things like a new cassette - the brakes issue was pretty much an impulse buy

raleighnut

Legendary Member
@Spoked Wheels

Yup same tyres, 25mm Schwalbe Durano Plus tyres. I think they still got a few hundred miles on them before i need to think about replacing them. I hear Durano Plus tyres are like Marathons but without the weight.

Marathon Supreme's are also said to be pretty good but i think Schwalbe are bringing something new in to replace them or discontinuing them completely as they are slowly becoming harder and harder to find in typical road bike sizes.

Im honestly on a fence about the whole pannier rack business now. I loved the look of the bike without one and now I have it on, I want to take it off.
If i switched it out for a tortec then i'd possibly have to get a new trunk bag - I dont absolutely need to as i have two panniers that a ready to go but having them on wont make me as aero anymore. Not that im quite aero anyway to begin with :tongue:

I'll keep the pannier rack for now but maybe look for a system that i can attach and detach in a matter of minutes so i can customise the bike based on the kind of riding im going to be doing.

I mentioned in a previous thread about having a Deuter race exp air rucksack to carry some bits and bobs for local rides and short commutes and that kind of takes away the need to always have a pannier rack attached 24/7. Oh well, Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it!!

I guess im going to have to change my train of thought too and instead of thinking 'there and back as fast as possible...' im going to need to start thinking 'Slow and steady, wins the race...'

I had a new chain with me that i asked them to switch out but they didnt do it as they'd have to change the cassette as well as they arent 'worn in' the same way and putting a new chain on a worn cassette would only create problems.

I'll be taking her to work tomorrow so i'll see how well she rides after the changes and the servicing. According to the techs she wasnt much trouble at all. adjusting the brakes for the wider rims was pretty much all she needed.

If the seatpost is aluminium try one of these

topeak-ta2101e-med.jpg

Fully compatible with your Topeak bags, remove in seconds. only downside is they're limited to about 8 kilos of weight and the side supports are a must (they bolt on so some beam racks come with em some without) with the 'drop down panniers'.
I wouldn't bother with the silly 'mudguard' thing though, I've got one and it's pretty pointless.

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
@raleighnut

I was checking these out earlier. I dont really like the idea of the though. Ive heard that some put a lot of pressure on the seat post, the other part of me is constantly worrying about it 'swinging out' of position if i go over a small bump. Do you have any experience with these?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yep, had one for 5-6yrs (along with 2 permanent racks fitted to my Ridgeback hybrid/tourer and the old Raleigh MTB respectively) The QR clamp holds it pretty steady (well mine has never moved)
The only way I could see it swinging sideways is if I was 'Honking' and swinging the bike 'side to side' but I don't ride that way so it has never been a problem.

EDIT - I actually have this one with the side supports and the 'mudguard' but the guard is not really any use.
http://www.googleadservices.com/pag...66v5~2ML8FpFyDslRFjfi1XrvKC2XeS4TmXocmIPfPw__

the one with the side supports looks to be a bargain though

Last edited:
OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
a beam rack seems a much better idea all around now that i think about it... I dont know why i didnt consider it a lot sooner.

Can you explain to me the difference between an E-rack and a V-rack? Just checking Evanscycles websites and they talk about the different racks but yet make no indication of which one is E and which one is V.

Is the low one the V rack?

topeak-ta2101e-med.jpg

I think i might just have to take my bike to evanses on my day off and have a look around.

never mind I done some googling...

topeak-mtx-beamrack-zoom.jpg

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Im starting to notice a little more rust in pretty obscure places... The spring that works the caliper brakes and the bolts that keep the arms attached.

In those 4 months the previous owner had it. He must of been out every day in the rain with it and not bothered to clean it when he got home. He said he gave the bike a bit of a clean before i picked it up but there was still mud caked to the bottom where the frames serial number should be.

Will put up pics later as i now have to get ready for work.

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
@Spoked Wheels

I dont know if it was as result of the service i had but the ride feels so much more smoother the weight penalty of the pannier rack is also negligible when im rolling. The Acceleration is still there!

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
@Spoked Wheels

I dont know if it was as result of the service i had but the ride feels so much more smoother the weight penalty of the pannier rack is also negligible when im rolling. The Acceleration is still there!

My vote goes for tyres and tyre pressure.

It's normal not to notice the weight once you get going

I'm glad you are enjoying the bike, riding feels so much better when you are happy with your machine :smile:

Top Bottom