Uh.... Just Window Shopping.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Funny I`m the opposite :smile: Will use RM over anyone else where I can, helps to know your Postman, your DO Manager and contacts in the Mail Centre :whistle:

As for as getting to know them. I used to work for them a while back so i know how the system works. Ive had collections not turn up for an entire week then another week after ive called them up about it. Luckily for me i wasnt paying for the service but i got a refund for the guy who did and booked my collection with a different courier who turned up the very next morning.

Not to forget the items that turn up pretty abused after a month of going missing

Last edited:
OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
My Triban is now in the hands of my LBS as i wanted a mini service to go along with all the parts that needed fitting, I noticed some uneven wear on the brake pads and i wanted to get rid of the manky rusty chain the previous owner had on. They said it would be available to pick up tomorrow but i'll be working for the next 3 days so wont be available to pick up till sunday.

Time to get the hybrid out

@Spoked Wheels - I showed the gents down at my LBS your handy work and they were very very impressed.

If you have any flyers or business cards printed. I'll be happy to give them to my LBS if you wish to send me a stack. The guys that work there are a great bunch of guys and they are very very big on cycling community related stuffs http://www.micycle.org.uk/

I have never been to a bicycle shop where the people working there and fixing bikes were your regular everyday people. Its like walking into a cafe thats been family run for so many many generations. Its got this great feel to it!

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
My Triban is now in the hands of my LBS as i wanted a mini service to go along with all the parts that needed fitting, I noticed some uneven wear on the brake pads and i wanted to get rid of the manky rusty chain the previous owner had on. They said it would be available to pick up tomorrow but i'll be working for the next 3 days so wont be available to pick up till sunday.

Time to get the hybrid out

@Spoked Wheels - I showed the gents down at my LBS your handy work and they were very very impressed.

If you have any flyers or business cards printed. I'll be happy to give them to my LBS if you wish to send me a stack. The guys that work there are a great bunch of guys and they are very very big on cycling community related stuffs http://www.micycle.org.uk/

I have never been to a bicycle shop where the people working there and fixing bikes were your regular everyday people. Its like walking into a cafe thats been family run for so many many generations. Its got this great feel to it!

It's great to hear that Elliott, it's always nice to hear compliments from anybody but more so from people that know how to build wheels, which in this case, I'm assuming they can ;)

Flyers and business cards are in my need to do list :smile: I'll send you some when I get them. Your offer is much appreciated.

Have fun and enjoy the wheels..... please let us have a picture when the bike is ready to go :smile:

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
It's great to hear that Elliott, it's always nice to hear compliments from anybody but more so from people that know how to build wheels, which in this case, I'm assuming they can ;)

Flyers and business cards are in my need to do list :smile: I'll send you some when I get them. Your offer is much appreciated.

Have fun and enjoy the wheels..... please let us have a picture when the bike is ready to go :smile:

I know they do wheel truing but i dont think they actually build from scratch like you do.

@RoubaixCube so, how fast are you at solving the Rubik's cube? :smile:

Im still on the case xp

On a side note - Since im having to ride my hybrid for a few days, Im already starting to miss my Triban and its not even been at my LBS for half a day. Roadies are just so much more fun to ride :tongue:

vickster

Legendary Member
I know they do wheel truing but i dont think they actually build from scratch like you do.

Im still on the case xp

On a side note - Since im having to ride my hybrid for a few days, Im already starting to miss my Triban and its not even been at my LBS for half a day. Roadies are just so much more fun to ride :tongue:
I'm assuming you mean road bikes and not roadies, either Lycra clad cyclists on road bike or the ones who hump kit around at gigs :whistle:

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Well yes...

martin-freeman-idk-whatever-shrugging_zps4rzu8ogu.gif

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
@Spoked Wheels

And here she is....

P1000025_zpsoqcb6qjn.jpg

She definitely feels a little heavier than before but only ever so slightly, Still lighter than my hybrid though. I guess she kind of fits into more of an audax class of bike now instead of a racer.

the lads down at the workshop were actually talking about the pannier rack as well and suggested i think about switching out the Topeak to a Tortec because its much lighter. Topeak are obviously still quite good but pretty heavy duty.

things to consider before July...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
@Spoked Wheels

And here she is....

P1000025_zpsoqcb6qjn.jpg

She definitely feels a little heavier than before but only ever so slightly, Still lighter than my hybrid though. I guess she kind of fits into more of an audax class of bike now instead of a racer.

the lads down at the workshop were actually talking about the pannier rack as well and suggested i think about switching out the Topeak to a Tortec because its much lighter. Topeak are obviously still quite good but pretty heavy duty.

Ah but do you use a Topeak bag on the rack, the slide click/lock system is fantastic (and the top bags with drop down panniers are excellent quality)

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Ah but do you use a Topeak bag on the rack, the slide click/lock system is fantastic (and the top bags with drop down panniers are excellent quality)

Yes i do - I used a Topeak DX pannier rack (for disc brakes) along with an MTX trunkbag on my hybrid and it carried pretty much most of the things i needed for a day at work with room for a few extra bits and bobs.

Id hate to have to get rid of it and burn more money on buying a completely new different set up.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
@Spoked Wheels

And here she is....

P1000025_zpsoqcb6qjn.jpg

That looks very nice :okay:

Are they the same tyres you had before?

I have a Tortec rack and another one I picked up from Lidl and the weight difference is more thank half.

For a commuter bike you should only be concerned on a reliable bike that does the job well, you might save a bit of weight on a lighter rack but will it have the same functionality?

I've been riding with Michelin Pro tyres (racing tyres for many years - 200g for 23c) this winter I fitted Marathon + 25c and the weight went up to 600g but I could not be happier with the results. Yesterday I went out on a ride and the peace of mind the tyres give me is priceless. There was plenty of debris on the New Forest's roads but I felt confident that nothing would happened. Last year I did not ride through the winter, other than rides close to home.

I regret not moving to Marathon + before, I used to look at the weight and that would put me off..... If I was racing or speed was important then yes, but in winter, I just I want to ride and I don't want to fix punctures. There's no guarantee that I wont suffer a puncture but I sure feel far more confident now.... and about the extra weight, 800g total? The truth is that I didn't think about it.

The same goes for the wheels, you can ride with confidence that you will not have to walk home with a broken spoke. Having said that, those wheels are about 1750g which is about the same weight your old Aksiums but there is no comparison on the quality of both sets of wheels.

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
@Spoked Wheels

Yup same tyres, 25mm Schwalbe Durano Plus tyres. I think they still got a few hundred miles on them before i need to think about replacing them. I hear Durano Plus tyres are like Marathons but without the weight.

Marathon Supreme's are also said to be pretty good but i think Schwalbe are bringing something new in to replace them or discontinuing them completely as they are slowly becoming harder and harder to find in typical road bike sizes.

Im honestly on a fence about the whole pannier rack business now. I loved the look of the bike without one and now I have it on, I want to take it off.
If i switched it out for a tortec then i'd possibly have to get a new trunk bag - I dont absolutely need to as i have two panniers that a ready to go but having them on wont make me as aero anymore. Not that im quite aero anyway to begin with :tongue:

I'll keep the pannier rack for now but maybe look for a system that i can attach and detach in a matter of minutes so i can customise the bike based on the kind of riding im going to be doing.

I mentioned in a previous thread about having a Deuter race exp air rucksack to carry some bits and bobs for local rides and short commutes and that kind of takes away the need to always have a pannier rack attached 24/7. Oh well, Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it!!

I guess im going to have to change my train of thought too and instead of thinking 'there and back as fast as possible...' im going to need to start thinking 'Slow and steady, wins the race...'

I had a new chain with me that i asked them to switch out but they didnt do it as they'd have to change the cassette as well as they arent 'worn in' the same way and putting a new chain on a worn cassette would only create problems.

I'll be taking her to work tomorrow so i'll see how well she rides after the changes and the servicing. According to the techs she wasnt much trouble at all. adjusting the brakes for the wider rims was pretty much all she needed.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I hear Durano Plus tyres are like Marathons but without the weight.

Yes, I understand they are very good for puncture protection but they don't last very long, personally I wouldn't mind that if I knew for sure they were as puncture protected as the Marathon Plus.

I'll keep the pannier rack for now but maybe look for a system that i can attach and detach in a matter of minutes so i can customise the bike based on the kind of riding im going to be doing.

The Tortec, once installed, can be removed in about two minutes, and put back on in a little longer. I don't think the Topeak would be much different.

I guess im going to have to change my train of thought too and instead of thinking 'there and back as fast as possible...' im going to need to start thinking 'Slow and steady, wins the race...'

I don't commute but I do talk to people that commute everyday and they tell of the frustration of making good progress and then having to wait at a traffic light, before starting gain. I find that people that want to commute fast they irritate rather easily, any delay on the road and they are shouting, etc. That can't be good for maintaining sanity :laugh:

I had a new chain with me that i asked them to switch out but they didnt do it as they'd have to change the cassette as well as they arent 'worn in' the same way and putting a new chain on a worn cassette would only create problems.

Not always a new cassette is needed with a new chain. Normally one gets 2 or 3 chains to one cassette. The only way to tell is to change the chain and see if you start having issues with some gears and if so then put the old chain back or change the cassette. Buy a chain measuring tool and then you can measure your chain on a regular basis..... when the chain has stretched to .75 then replace it and you would be fine with the cassette.

Top Bottom