UK holiday ideas wanted.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Not really expecting a definitive answer......more bouncing a new problem around! I'm sure many people face this problem every year but it's a 1st for us.
We have had a static van on Anglesey for many years so apart from the odd foreign trip we haven't had to think of it.
We have just sold the van.........some tears shed but time for a change.
So where to go ?
We are both of a certain age (I wont see 64 again:ohmy:) but reasonably active.
We are not into Blackpool type hols (no offence to Blackpool).
Somewhere with nice quiet (flatish) cycling ?
Some nature/bird watching
Some walking
Nice paces to visit within decent range
Oh.....some good pubs handy would be good.
As I say----I'm just trawling for ideas.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Morecambe. There's flat cycling available. It's quietish. There's plenty of sea birds. It's at the edge of the Lake District and close to the Yorkshire Dales. Pubs and bars are nice and reasonably priced.

Stu Smith

Veteran
Morecambe. There's flat cycling available. It's quietish. There's plenty of sea birds. It's at the edge of the Lake District and close to the Yorkshire Dales. Pubs and bars are nice and reasonably priced.
And you certainly won't have to queue for anything..:stop:

I was going to say the lake district, but it is a bit hilly, however the coastal areas are still beautiful and much flatter, grange-over-sands and places similar.

Stu Smith

Veteran
Dorset is beautiful..Went last spring:sun: .Did loads of cycling,.There's both hills and flatish places,you pays your money and takes your choice..:rolleyes:

Ireland - not quite UK, but same language more or less, and could be classed as UK is you went to NI first...
plenty of places to cycle, slower pace to life and cars are friendly to cyclists all of the time. Plenty of pubs and beaches. Areas such as the ring of kerry, beara peninsular & dingle pennisular all spring to mind - reasonably easy cycling without too much climbing.

otherwise - outer hebrides & orkneys. (can't recommend the shetlands because I have yet to go there).
both have a fantastic wild life population - usually breezy so little biting things not often an issues - the machair (outer hebrides) is amazing and well worth visiting and there are plenty of stunning white beaches, views and some splendid mountains to look at and not need to climb... cycling is also good, but not too many roads to get lost on.
Orkneys - have some amazing historical and ornothological sites are I would love to get back there to spend more time. 2 weeks was not enough.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Northumberland coast. Plenty of cycling, stunning scenery, everytime you turn around someone's built a crumbling medieval ruin of some sort, miles and miles of wide open golden beaches, the list goes on and on.

snorri

Legendary Member
We are not into Blackpool type hols (no offence to Blackpool).
Somewhere with nice quiet (flatish) cycling ?
Some nature/bird watching
Some walking
Nice paces to visit within decent range
Oh.....some good pubs handy would be good.
Orkney ticks these boxes, based in Kirkwall or Stromness, with ferry trips to North and South Isles for added interest.

Glow worm

Legendary Member

I'd also recommend North Norfolk

Somewhere with nice quiet (flatish) cycling ? Definately though perhaps not quite as flat as you expect. You are spoilt for quiet lanes and cycling through the grounds of Holkham Hall for example is amazing.

Some nature/bird watching: Spoilt for choice- Snettisham, Titchwell, Holkham, Cley, Winterton. You can take a boat from Blakeney or Morston for some seal watching and the greys have pups now

Some walking: You've got the Norfolk Coast Path and the Peddars Way which are linked. Also the Coasthopper bus service means you can hop off, walk the path for a bit and hop back on further along.

Nice paces to visit within decent range: There's Pensthorpe near Fakenham for nature, Walsingham is beautiful architecturally and historically and is wonderfully different. Foxley Wood for nice walks, Norwich of course is well worth a visit and of course the Broads. Wells is a great, traditional seaside town- you can go for a beer on the old Dutch clipper ship the Albatross moored at the Quay. Don't forget the flint churches. Norfolk has some of the finest churches in the country and even the smallest parish often has an almost Cathedral like church.

Oh.....some good pubs handy would be good. There are plenty- My favourite is the Bull at Walsingham (cosy old pub, roaring fire, good beers). Also, the Jolly Sailors at Brancaster Staithe if you can stand the Hoorays, and The Nelson at Burnham Thorpe where Nelson was born- the only UK pub without a bar.
As I say----I'm just trawling for ideas.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
another vote for Suffolk. Not at all hilly, not too many cars, lots of quiet and pretty roads, lovely scenery, a charming coastline, nive villages and small towns, and, as Andrew said, Southwold is lovely, (although very expensive).

otherwise..........North Lincs and East Yorks or Perth

Top Bottom