UK holiday ideas wanted.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
North Yorkshire.

There's lovely cycling in the flat lands round Thirsk and Northallerton, and easy access to the North Yorkshire Moors for the walking stuff.

Otherwise the Solway firth, either on the North Cumbria side or the Dumfries & Galloway side has a lovely mixture of flat and gentle countryside cycling and a few easy to access fells to walk on.

Nearly there

Veteran
Otherwise the Solway firth, either on the North Cumbria side or the Dumfries & Galloway side has a lovely mixture of flat and gentle countryside cycling and a few easy to access fells to walk on.
From Allonby up to carlisle is pretty flat for your cycling needs with some nice beaches and plenty of caravan parks knocking about,and of course there's the Lake district national park a stones throw away

TVC

Rutland - great walking everywhere, great cycling and bird watching at Rutland Water, loads of fantastic pubs and restaurants.

Southwold/Aldeburgh - posters above have said why.

Linford

If you just want a break, Windsor is very high on my list. Been twice, stayed once. Got plenty to occupy you for a couple of days, and good rail links, with the great park not so far away

ASC1951

Guru
Ireland - not quite UK, but same language more or less, and could be classed as UK is you went to NI first...

otherwise - outer hebrides .....
Yes to both those. You need to be careful with the time you go, though. Ireland is a lot wetter than most of the UK and the Hebrides can be very bleak if it's cold and windy.
That said, I did a camping trip on Whitsun and the tarmac was melting up in Lewis. A top fortnight - train to Oban via
Settle-Carlisle, ferry to Mull and pedal round Mull, ferry to Loch Boisdale and pedal up the islands to the Butt of Lewis, ferry back to Skye and round Skye, Glenelg ferry back, cycle down the coast to Oban. Hardly any rain and 22 hours daylight! IIRC Caledonian McBrayne do a multi-island ticket with the brilliant name of HopScotch.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
another vote here for nortfolk coast around holkham beach...lovely beach and lots of nice inland cycling...waltham abbey etc lots of nice pubs and you have the best of coastal and inland cycling...thetford forest isnt too far away either...a days ride.

Milo

Guru
Mid Wales Rhyader is nice. Hills can be avoided to a certain extent if you plan ahead but I much prefer to walk. Really like the area myself as it is not very touristy. Lovely bit of relative wilderness south of Scotland and the borders

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
It's already been suggested, but my parents are a similar age and really love Pembrokeshire & the campsite thing

Just to throw it out there as I haven't been (but want to), the Isle of Man looks scenic and interesting, presumably isn't too bad for cycling and you're quite close to the ferry ports.

otherwise - outer hebrides & orkneys. (can't recommend the shetlands because I have yet to go there).
both have a fantastic wild life population - usually breezy so little biting things not often an issues - the machair (outer hebrides) is amazing and well worth visiting and there are plenty of stunning white beaches, views and some splendid mountains to look at and not need to climb... cycling is also good, but not too many roads to get lost on.
Orkneys - have some amazing historical and ornothological sites are I would love to get back there to spend more time. 2 weeks was not enough.
I was lucky enough to go the the Shetlands for a few weeks while my dad was working there and was absolutely amazed by it, I didnt want to leave. Aside from the big oil refineries which you dont really see, its pretty much untouched, lots of wildlife, little smaller islands and historical bits. I remember going to the local leisure centre which was empty, would leave money on the desk, staff would pop in and out and say hi, and going i'd be going swimming unsupervised in an empty pool aged 12, only 20 years ago :smile: No idea about cycling there though.

channel islands, specifically gurnsey as i've been or sark where cycling is the only transport option other than your own feet.

byegad

Legendary Member
Northumberland. Not as flat as Norfolk but plenty of decent places to ride with only moderate hills, although you can find some real hard ones too! Beaches, Holy Island, the small towns and hardly anyone lives there.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
East Neuk of Fife. If you go in the August there is a lovely arts festival in Pittenweem. Lots of walks including the Fife costal path. Reasonably flat for cycling. Lots of cultural places to visit St Andrews loads, of unspoilt fishing villages, Kellie Castle etc. You could even stop in Edinburgh (beautiful city) on the way back. If you timing is right there is the festival with countless things to see and do as well as the sights.

gbb

Legendary Member
I'd second the suggestions for Dorset or N. Norfolk.
Dorset, or Weymouth particually has been a firm favourite of our family for years. Nice harbour, nice beaches, nice town, lovely countryside, near Bournmouth if you fancy a busy day, or Durdle Dor, Lulwoth Cove, and that village cleared out in WW2 (access by the tank ranges) has one of the most secluded fabulous beaches ive seen in this country, the remains of the village are now becoming a museum.
Lots of birdwatching right on the edge of town, Radipole i think, and of course there;s Portland itself and its harbour and Chesil beach, awesome views and acres of character.
Weymouth, busy enough to be interesting, not too busy to be annoying.

North Norfolk...littered with interesting countryside, villages, beaches, lots and lots of twitching opportunities.

colly

Re member eR
Northumberland, on the coast near Alnwick. This year I've spent a couple of long weekends in that area and it is great. Blackpool it ain't but there's plenty of walking and cycling to be had, it really is unspoilt, and there are some cracking pubs about.

The packed beach near Alnmouth.
SDC10973.JPG

gavgav

Guru
I would always suggest the Lake District for UK holidays, although I am biased because it is my 2nd home! It meets most of your criteria, other than the "flattish Cycling" as it very up and down!!

Top Bottom