Ultegra 6600 Front brake quick release?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
Does it have one:?:

I went to collect my bike from storage and needed to drop the front wheel out to get it in the back of the car.

I found the stopped-adjuster that allows you to widen the brake, but even at its widest I still couldn't drop the wheel out. I had to let the tyre down to get the wheel out.

Am I missing something obvious, or has it just not got one?

I can't imaging the Spesh racing team having to deflate tyres to do a wheel change! :evil:

Cheers,
Shaun

PS. Same question for the back brake!

simonali

Guru
My Ultegra brakes had one, but I don't know if they were that model. Just yer boggo little lever jobby, I seem to recall.

edit: all the google pics seem to show one.

kyuss

Veteran
Yep, mine have one. I think all Shimano brakes (Sora upwards anyway) from the past few years do. If they are 6600 it's the little lever on the front of the caliper, that's directly linked to the bolt that holds the cable on. If the brake's been adjusted right (when the lever is down) you just flip it up to widen the caliper. Just remember and flip it back before setting off or the first time you need to brake could be interesting.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Wow, that was quick ... and at this hour too! :smile:

Hmmmm .... sounds like the lever I've already found then (located at the front of the brake and moves in small steps to allow fine adjustment? You can feel it bump into place with each small adjustment [I'd say lock but the action is much smoother than that!]).

I may need to alter mine then, because when fully opened I still can't get the tyre through. Either that or buy some skinnier tyres :biggrin:

Thanks,
Shaun

kyuss

Veteran
Sounds like you're adjusting the right bit. What tyres are you running? I'm using 23mm and even then it's a tight fit with the lever fully open. Anything bigger than 23's and you might be struggling.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
kyuss said:
Sounds like you're adjusting the right bit. What tyres are you running? I'm using 23mm and even then it's a tight fit with the lever fully open. Anything bigger than 23's and you might be struggling.

Agreed, also depend on how wide your rims are, my Reynolds/23c combo are quite a bit narrower than my CXP 22's/s5c combo (Just less meat for braking to save weight), so the brakes are adjusted in tighter...when I swap wheels its a real bugger getting the CXP22's back in without adjusting the screw thingy as well as opening the QR device.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
I'm using the 25mm Spesh Pro tyres that came with it - probably the main cause of the problem as they are a little on the fat side compared to my commuting 23's.

They do give a nice comfy ride though, so I think I'll wear them our first before replacing them. :biggrin:

Thanks for the info.

Shaun. :evil:

Top Bottom