Ultegra front mech

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colcazal

Hi,

My front mech is rubbing when I am on the small chainring at the front and on the large cog on the rear. It looks to me like the mech has to go further intowards the frame to stop the rub.

Is the L limit screw the inner one closest to the frame on Ultegra SL front mech? and do I screw it in or out?

Many thanks,

Col

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Screw it out slightly - you'll see it (the mech) move. Just check the cable isn't dead tight first or it won't.

fossyant

Usually - just do a visual check - drop mech to the smaller ring, then look at which screw touches it.... dead easy - just do a small adjustment though - no more than half a turn.

Needs a real road test to sort though. When this happens I take a small screwdriver with me on a first run.

It's well worth knowing how stuff works..... I'm covered in oil at the moment just tracking a 'creak' from my fixed....gone now... Headset adjusted/spacers lubed, seat post out checked/cranks off, BB checked , re lubed...all gone.....no creaks.........

fossyant

Sorted it earlier..I think.... it's a new bike..my other 3 'much older' bikes don't do this..... some new stuff for me too as my other 3 are the older headset's - not this new integrated stuff, and chuck in some carbon.....argh.......

peanut

The front mech cage could have had a slight knock or moved when the bike was rested up against something.
Good idea to check that the front plate of the cage is exactly parallel to the large chainring.

Also turn the bike upside down and check there is not a load of dried mud and crud in the cable guide causing friction on the cable. Use someone elses toothbrush to clean it out :smile::biggrin::biggrin: then lube it

Top Bottom