Ultra Gatorskins: can't get the bastards on......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
.......Mavic 717 ceramic rims.
Well got them on once months ago, but with a lot of swearing and brute strength and I am (modestly he says) a physically strong man. Anyway a few hundred miles (if that) later, I need to put them on again and have just had a similar struggle - unsuccessful too, as I am unwilling to smash my thumbs to bits this time. Broken two plastic levers as well.....and I hate to use levers to put a tyre on.
So, I am going to have to ditch a virtually unused pair of tyres, simply because it's too difficult (even at home) to get them over the rims.
Bugger!

Slim

Über Member
I've got one of these....

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/TL401I11-Kool-Stop+Tire+Bead+Jack+With+Handle.aspx

....that usually does the trick with difficult tyres/rims.

P.M. me if you want to give it a try before you ditch the tyres.

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
Thanks Slim, but I'd rather not have yet another tool to take with me. All very well being able to get them on at home or in the workshop, but what happens if you're on the Aberystwyth mountain road in the freezing pouring rain in February, or worse?
is there worse?

I take mine off regularly Betty - always goes according to plan right up until the last bit... patience is a virtue, and if I feel that a lever is flexing a bit too much then I'll try and push a bit harder with my thumbs :evil: I know what you are saying though!
My speciality removal site is the Chiswick Roundabout in the pelting rain or Bayswater Road - in the pelting rain.:biggrin:
FYI - I posted a little review about these in, well, 'Review'...

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Its easy. Although i did find the banded Kendas easier to get on and off. To get the UltraGatorskin on, you get so much on as you can, get a good tyre lever like a Park Tools one, and put the scooped side on the rim and pull up, so its a lever. Do it so far around and the whole thing slides on. I did it one handed, its easy. You could always put the scooped section in and run it around, but i found levering it much easier.
Its easy, honest. I put one on, then when i pumped it up and took the pump off ripped the valve straight off, so had to take it off and then put it back on again. Didnt take me long.
Park tyre levers i find are the best, and are proper hard:becool:

SamNichols

Get some metal levers instead of plastic ones and take those with you. They usually work for more difficult tyres.
But Gatorskins are quite legendary for their difficulty in going on.

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
thanks fellas: I read what you're saying.
I've been cycling regularly for 30 years now and must have had tyres on and off hundreds of times. I am a very experienced tyre putter onner and and taker offer and I've never, repeat never had the struggle that I had with these.
On other rims these tyres must be easier.

Joe24

betty swollocks said:
thanks fellas: I read what you're saying.
I've been cycling regularly for 30 years now and must have had tyres on and off hundreds of times. I am a very experienced tyre putter onner and and taker offer and I've never, repeat never had the struggle that I had with these.
On other rims these tyres must be easier.

What rims you be rolling on?:evil:

SamNichols

Joe24 said:
Metal tyre levers.:evil:
They scratch your rim. Park Tool ones are good, get those instead.

Holy crap, I couldn't care less about having a scratched rim as I don't put ultra gatorskins on a pair of expensive wheels. Put some nice Fortezzas on instead, do yourself a favour. Sling the gatorskins on your winter wheels.

Joe24

My rims arent expensive, but they are black and are the only wheels i've got for it(so far) so i'm not going to scratch them.
You cant put scratched wheels on a nice road bike.:evil:
Anyway, whats wrong with spoons to put on your tyres?:biggrin:

Joe24 said:
Its easy. Although i did find the banded Kendas easier to get on and off. To get the UltraGatorskin on, you get so much on as you can, get a good tyre lever like a Park Tools one, and put the scooped side on the rim and pull up, so its a lever. Do it so far around and the whole thing slides on. I did it one handed, its easy. You could always put the scooped section in and run it around, but i found levering it much easier.
Its easy, honest. I put one on, then when i pumped it up and took the pump off ripped the valve straight off, so had to take it off and then put it back on again. Didnt take me long.
Park tyre levers i find are the best, and are proper hard:becool:

I'm old and silly Joetwo4 - make the most of your one-handed talents before they desert you... about twenty or so years from now...:tongue:
Many's the time it has been possible to see electric blue coloured plastic 'pinging' through the air as the Gatorskin decides to wrassle for another round...
With your skills you should be making representations to the Head Mecano of the Cycle Chat team - he'll find something for you to do with the spare hand.:smile:

dodgy

Slim said:
I've got one of these....

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/TL401I11-Kool-Stop+Tire+Bead+Jack+With+Handle.aspx

....that usually does the trick with difficult tyres/rims.

P.M. me if you want to give it a try before you ditch the tyres.

I've been meaning to ask about JensonUSA, anyone ordered from there and what was the overall experience like (time for delivery, import duty etc)?
They turn up on Google Products a lot these days and are generally cheaper than UK.
Dave.

Slim

Über Member
dodgy said:
I've been meaning to ask about JensonUSA, anyone ordered from there and what was the overall experience like (time for delivery, import duty etc)?
They turn up on Google Products a lot these days and are generally cheaper than UK.
Dave.

The only thing I found a (minor) pain was the fact that I had to send them scans of the card being used. This added a little delay.

Apart from that the delivery was about a week (including the delay at the employers mail room). I have a discount code that'll knock off $5 if you're interested.

Top Bottom