Unclipping on a hill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Louise Harley

Louise Harley

Auch, you'd never be able to pick yourself up of the floor with laughing
?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sherv.net%2Fcm%2Femo%2Flaughing%2Froflmao.gif
if I recounted the times I've toppled over cause of clips. In the past I would say control your fall but now I pop my foot out unconsciously. As time creeps on so will your skill.
(Touching the top my head) It's been quite I while since I hit the deck.
dizzy-smiley-emoticon.gif
Thanks nice when others admit to it and don't make you feel silly. Only time will tell then and technique will come

Attachments

• ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sherv.net%2Fcm%2Femo%2Flaughing%2Froflmao.gif
    ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sherv.net%2Fcm%2Femo%2Flaughing%2Froflmao.gif
    326 bytes · Views: 67
  • dizzy-smiley-emoticon.gif
    dizzy-smiley-emoticon.gif
    113 KB · Views: 61

zizou

Veteran
Never really thought about unclipping on a hill, clipping in on one is the tricky part for me!

What you might find helpful is finding a quiet hill and riding up it slowly so you almost come to a stop (but dont) then accelerate a little to get momentum again then repeat this a few times. It will be easier doing the slow bit out of the saddle so you can move your body weight around. Once you gain some confidence going slow you can then start unclipping as you come to a stop. Doing the unclipping part before you actually stop makes it easier.

OP
OP
Louise Harley

Louise Harley

Never really thought about unclipping on a hill, clipping in on one is the tricky part for me!

What you might find helpful is finding a quiet hill and riding up it slowly so you almost come to a stop (but dont) then accelerate a little to get momentum again then repeat this a few times. It will be easier doing the slow bit out of the saddle so you can move your body weight around. Once you gain some confidence going slow you can then start unclipping as you come to a stop. Doing the unclipping part before you actually stop makes it easier.
Sounds like a plan, although not sure how the not stopping is going to help, think I am being dense now!

OP
OP
Louise Harley

Louise Harley

think perhaps I might try unclipping out of the saddle on the turbo, that might help me get the technique without fear of falling over to start with

axwj29

I find I can't unclip going up a steepish hill, as I don't have the strength in my legs (at the minute) to keep going and twist hard enough to unclip. I am going to see if I can loosen the clips before I next go out. I have one particular junction at the top of a steep hill that is a bit of a bug bear. Otherwise I'm getting more confident as I get used to them.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Surely you would just clip in with one foot and get a bit of momentum and then clip other in when you feel comfortable?
Depends which clipless system you are using. SPDs are easy, Looks or SPD-SLs are not so easy.

I had to stop on a steep climb, would have been 15% at that point. I was on the bike with the Look pedals and I dreaded having to stop on a hill with them. As soon as I knew I would have to stop, I planned where I would stop, sat down, got the left foot at the top and then it was unclip-step down-hold the brake, within a second :ohmy: If I had failed to unclip, I would have needed to pedal another revolution and try again.

Setting off again was rather more interesting. Miss the clip and your foot just slides off and you stop again :laugh:

zizou

Veteran
Sounds like a plan, although not sure how the not stopping is going to help, think I am being dense now!

It will hopefully give you confidence with your balance when going at the sort of speed where you would then unclip. The not totally stopping bit is because its going to be easier doing that that unclipping and having to get going again uphill.

iggibizzle

What's the point of spds at all if you don't use the full rotation of then? Helps me get up hills anyway. And take the strain off my thighs when I'm going for it. Dunno about anyone else.

MikeW-71

Veteran
The best you can do is to unweight the foot coming up while the other leg is pushing down. You can't add any power by trying to pull up, those muscles are nowhere near as powerful as your quads. SPDs hold your foot in the right place all the time, that's all they have to do.

Top Bottom