Uncomfortable Road Bike

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
5'5'' what is your inside leg? seems a big frame for somebody of the height. I am 5'7'' been measured 3 times for handmade frames by different frame builders, never once had one over 52cm. I also have a Giant compact in a small, again measured to fit.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

I adjusted the handlebars so the hoods are a bit higher up and played about with the saddle, I went out for a few hours today and it's much more comfortable. I was able to use the hoods more, I can only tell if it's a good position on a long ride though so we'll see. Thanks for all the help!

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

5'5'' what is your inside leg? seems a big frame for somebody of the height. I am 5'7'' been measured 3 times for handmade frames by different frame builders, never once had one over 52cm. I also have a Giant compact in a small, again measured to fit.

My inside leg is 30"

screenman

Legendary Member
Just copied this I found.

First place to start is with the tilt, or angle, of the saddle. In almost no case is it a good idea to ride with a saddle that's tilted up at the front! This focuses the pressure on exactly the wrong areas. As you slide forward on the seat, you're essentially driving your most delicate parts (and the ones that could cause problems down the road) into the nose of the seat if it's "up" at the front.

So do you want the seat "down" at the front? That's not a good idea either, because you're going to spend the whole ride pushing back from the handlebars, creating a lot of tension in your arms & shoulders. A level saddle is the best bet.

Find the rest here.

http://www.chainreactionbicycles.com/saddles.htm

D

Deleted member 1258

I would say the bikes to big for you, I'm 5' 6" with a 29" inside leg, I have a Pearson which has a horizontal top tube, its a 54cm frame and its a good fit, it still needs a short stem though, a 90. I have a Verenti Kilmeston which is a compact frame with a sloping top tube, its 53cm frame is one size too big, a 51 or 52 would have been better, I use a 75 stem on it and I'm comfortable. Looking at pictures of the Triban it looks like a compact frame with a sloping top tube, my impression of the compact frames is that they tend to be long in the top tube and they need to be a little short in the seat tube, lots of saddle post showing, to get a good fit

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
If all else fails, I have an 80mm oversize stem with 30 degree rise which I took off my tourer around somewhere. If it's any use I could post it up.

Definitely try flipping the stem and rotating the bars back towards you before anything else though.

RWright

Guru
I am 5'10" but have a 30 inch inseam. I tried lifting the nose of the saddle for a 12 mile ride today. It was slightly tilted down before, I am going to go with it level now, I think that will be the best bet for me, I didn't like it up, too much pressure. I raised the hoods a little also and I am liking that. I ride a Trek 2.3, 54. I do have long arms and think I may have to change stems because the person I got it from had the same inseam as I do but shorter reach so he changed the stem to a shorter one, I did not get the stem he took off when I bought the bike from him. I am trying to get things dialed in because I am going to clipless pedals early next week...I will probably get to do it all again when I get them. :ohmy:

defy-one

I put a 90mm adjustable stem on my triban. It's great now. Also roll the hoods forward and slip a small peice of sponge at the top of the hood before rolling the rubber back. Makes it comfy comfy
uploadfromtaptalk1345379388084.jpg

judging by the above pic, either your frame is too small - or you would be better off on a hybrid. That looks like a massively upright position for a road bike....

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Not everyone want's to spend their time staring at the tarmac though.

Tourers have much more relaxed geometry which is probably more suitable for most people on road bikes.

Hip Priest

Veteran
My son is about the same height as you and is riding a Triban 3 in 54 size with no complaints about comfort. Do try messing around with that saddle angle - it should be tipped up by about 5 degrees at the nose to support your pelvis properly. Flat or sloping forwards will throw your weight onto the bars.

I have my saddles tilted slightly downwards, otherwise I get the dreaded numbnuts.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
This and other threads like it on bike fitting just go to demonstrate that the current frame-sizing terminology is in fact all wrong.
It's Top-Tube length that's the more important measurement IMO.

Top Bottom