Uncomfortable Road Bike

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 20519

I purchased my Triban 3 road bike on Monday. I've only ridden a flat bar so this was the time I've ever used drops. It was strange but I got used to it and I found myself riding in the drops more than any other hand position. I would like to use the hoods a bit more but I find it quite uncomfortable. When I'm on the hoods, I was expecting a bit of a more upright position but I still feel that I'm leaning forward into a more 'aero' position.

I'm 5 foot 5 so ideally I would be looking for a bike around 52cm. The Triban only comes in a 51 and a 54 and I was thinking that I would go for the 54 as I am still growing and I expect that I would have outgrown the 51 in a matter of months. On the bike, I've got the saddle almost fully forward on the rails, because I noticed that when I went down into the drops, I was sliding forward and it was causing it to be uncomfortable.

Will I benefit from a proper bike fitting and is this just a problem with the bike being too big for me, will it change when I grow taller?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I fear the bike may be too big for you.
However, take a read of this:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

Cyclist33

At your age, who can say when/if you'll growth spurt, or indeed grow more at all. Maybe your family height history might lend some clues on that point.

Like you I found drop bars a stretch, and to be frank, I got rid of my road bike and bought a fast hybrid instead - but there were specific medical reasons too. I get the feeling from folk on here that with perseverance, one gets used to the stretch, after all, it *is* a longer, lower position than riding a flat bar. Maybe you just need to give your body time to adap to the bike?

If you're sliding forward off the saddle, tilt it back a bit. The saddle/seat-post gizmo usually has notches running left to right along the part of the clamp that sits on the seat-post, allowing you to nudge the saddle angle up or down bit by bit. Also the forward/aft position of the saddle on the rail, and the height, will all affect your coefficient of slidability. There is the old rule of your kneecap being over the middle of the pedal when your cranks are horizontal, but I also read a good article on here which pointed out that every rider's limb and sub-limb lengths, strengths and angles are different, so there is no true "one size fits all" rule for setting up the bike right. Basically it's a bit of trail and error unless you pay to have it fitted. For example, I went out for 70 miles the other night, and despite having the bike exactly as I thought it should be, within 3 miles I was sliding forward and the saddle was eating at my man-bits, so I stopped, raised the height by 2 mm, and tipped it forward one notch, and it was much better. But last night I moved the saddle forward about 3 mm and tipped it back a notch, which is more comfortable again.

Stu

speedygoo

You could flip your stem for a more upright position, or even change your stem for a shorter reach and more upright position, or raise the bars a touch and droP them as you go along

Globalti

Legendary Member
My son is about the same height as you and is riding a Triban 3 in 54 size with no complaints about comfort. Do try messing around with that saddle angle - it should be tipped up by about 5 degrees at the nose to support your pelvis properly. Flat or sloping forwards will throw your weight onto the bars.

speedygoo

Also worth checking the angle of your bars look up bike fitting for guidance but the angle may be putting stress on your wrists

defy-one

I have been messing about with my fitting on the triban. Seat is all the way fwd and tipped slightly up at the nose. This has reduced the pressure on my hands. Still find i'm a little stretched out compared to the Defy,so bought an adjustable 90mm stem yesterday ..... The handlebars don't fit within the front clamp :angry:
I didn't know there are different handlebar thicknesses ...... I do now! :sad:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm 5-9 and ride a 54 so it might be a bit big. And don't forget, it will take a while to get used to the position. To be frank, you should still be in the same position on the drops or hoods - drops let you go lower, hoods let you go higher, but for general riding you should still be in a similar position.

You've just gone from a hybrid, which is a big change. It takes time to adapt.

lulubel

Über Member
You might benefit from a shorter stem. Some people will tell you it will make the bike "twitchy", but I ride with a 75mm stem and don't have any problems with handling. Maybe it's something you get used to (I found it twitchy after my mountain bike, but don't notice it now).

Moving the saddle as far forward as you can isn't a good way to reduce the reach to the bars because it can put you in an uncomfortable position for the pedals.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Sounds way to big atm, best thing you can do if you want to keep the bike is try a shorter /flipped stem ,assuming your saddle is set up right sliding forward on the seat is normally a sign that your reach is to far.
even a few mm can make a big difference, i lowered my stem height by 1 spacer (5mm) and now i have back ache so i will be putting it back up asap .
The peter white bike fit is a good site and i like this one ..
http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/bikefit.html

lordloveaduck

You mentioned this in your previoued thread

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/triban-3-woo.108483/
'I'm a 5ft 7 girl and i ride a 53 Cube, sometimes it's not a case of growing into it'
Also depends on torso, leg length and sometimes the design.

I had used to have a 54 as advised by a bike shop and no matter how much i changed things and tweaked it, the comfort never happend. Ended up giving it away as i grew to hate it so much.

Fubar

Guru
Think you just need to give it time to adjust to a different position on the bike - I'm 5'5" and have the 54 Triban 3, I did find at the start everything was a bit sore in particular my back, now much more comfortable - takes time for your body to adjust (especially at my age!) :laugh:

Top Bottom