Under £500 wheel upgrade advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
I'm currently on Giant PR-2 alloy wheels picked up from a local bicycle recycling centre. They're ~2kg for the pair, ~24mm profile, cost me £20.

I'm looking to do a sensible upgrade from the above. I'm not riding a superbike and don't want to break the bank - would like to keep things under £500, ideally £400, not fussed about material but am a bit of a sucker for that silver breaking surface on alloy wheels. Low-medium profile, say 30-40 mm. Around 1500-1600g.

Found this Hunt Race Aero Wide wheelset and can't help but feel it really ticks a lot of boxes. ~£400, ~1500g, fully tubeless ready - i.e. ship with proper rim tape and tubeless valves. Free UK shipping. Have been around for a while and have good reviews. Not sure about the wider rim bed that effectively widens your tires a bit - I'm under 70kg so not sure if that would benefit me at all. 31mm deep which is at the lower end of what I'm looking for.

Other options I find interesting, compared to Hunt:
- Mavic Ksyrium S, ~£400, ~1600g, 22mm profile, 19mm internal width (same price point but very low profile and a tat heavier).
- Vision Trimax 35, ~£500, ~1650g, 35mm profile, 19mm internal width (pricier and heavier but more aero profile).
- Fulcrum Racing 3, ~£450, ~1600g, 27/30mm profile, 17mm internal width (small difference in price, tat heavier and a similar but ultimately smaller profile, only one on here with a 17mm internal width).

Would welcome any thoughts and other recommendations. There are some things that I'm just unable to compare due to lack of knowledge - like the freehub quality.

Disclaimer(s):
- I'm not averse to carbon wheels, keep in mind it's a rim brake bike though.
- I'm also not averse to buying second hand.
- Not looking to go tubeless right away but want that option without 'ghetto' upgrades.

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
For that price I'd not recommend the Mavic's or Vision's. The Hunt wheels I've no experience of, but Fulcrum 3's are OK. Personally I'd recommend Superstar Components wheels, and have done for some time. They're cheaper and lighter than those above but ... are currently out of stock until they make some more.

I've got the Mason X Hunt 4 Seasons Disc wheelset and very happy with that.

I'd just be wary about what size tyres you can take with the rim brakes ? How close clearance is the bike ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd avoid any with silly spoke nipples - e.g. those Mavics. I'm a big Mavic fan, either rims built into wheels or their wheelsets, but the more regular wheels, not the super light stuff. I've some 'old' Mavic Ksyrium Equipes and Aksiums that have been perfect.
The Hunts are well recommended as are Superstar.

Thought about handbuilts ?

OP
OP
Peter Salt

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
For that price I'd not recommend the Mavic's or Vision's. The Hunt wheels I've no experience of, but Fulcrum 3's are OK. Personally I'd recommend Superstar Components wheels, and have done for some time. They're cheaper and lighter than those above but ... are currently out of stock until they make some more.
Thanks. Shame about the Superstar ones - haven't heard about them before but would definitely consider a purchase. Must be a reason why they sold out.

I've got the Mason X Hunt 4 Seasons Disc wheelset and very happy with that.

I'd just be wary about what size tyres you can take with the rim brakes ? How close clearance is the bike ?
It's a Giant TCR Advanced. Definitely room for 28mm in there but don't see myself changing from the 25s. Thing is though that with that increased internal width on the Hunt what's normally a 25mm tire will be closer to 26-27. Will still fit, but not sure if I want that.

I'd avoid any with silly spoke nipples - e.g. those Mavics. I'm a big Mavic fan, either rims built into wheels or their wheelsets, but the more regular wheels, not the super light stuff. I've some 'old' Mavic Ksyrium Equipes and Aksiums that have been perfect.
The Hunts are well recommended as are Superstar.

Thought about handbuilts ?
Yes, bespoke build crossed my mind but I'm not sure if it makes sense at this price point. Won't hurt to make some inquiries though, had anyone specific in mind?

Another option is to search the used market. -That would, presumably, allow me to find a higher spec product - maybe 40mm deep and still 1500g at a similar price point? It is the used market though... A bit of a mine field.

DCLane

Thanks. Shame about the Superstar ones - haven't heard about them before but would definitely consider a purchase. Must be a reason why they sold out.

It's because they had a 40% off discount sale this month. They'll be re-stocking soon.

Just to give you an idea of why we like them; I rode LEL on a 30mm set. Son no. 2 has trained on them and will be doing his UCI race in Belgium on a 38mm set.

vickster

Legendary Member

It's a Giant TCR Advanced. Definitely room for 28mm in there but don't see myself changing from the 25s. Thing is though that with that increased internal width on the Hunt what's normally a 25mm tire will be closer to 26-27. Will still fit, but not sure if I want that.

Yes, bespoke build crossed my mind but I'm not sure if it makes sense at this price point. Won't hurt to make some inquiries though, had anyone specific in mind?

Another option is to search the used market. -That would, presumably, allow me to find a higher spec product - maybe 40mm deep and still 1500g at a similar price point? It is the used market though... A bit of a mine field.
Try DCR for handbuilts maybe

Soltydog

Legendary Member

I have a 2020 TCR & currently running 28s, plenty of room. The PR2 wheels that it came with were heavy & spoilt the ride IMO, I switched to Hunts shortly after purchasing, but they weren't strong enough for my weight (95kg) so sold them on. For a lighter rider they'll be a big improvement & the aftersales service from Hunt is spot on 👍

Personally I'd be wary of 2nd hand wheels unless you know the history & trust the seller, but with a budget of £500 I would expect you could pick up a quality set of handbuilt wheels & that would be my option :okay:

paxterg

Veteran
scribe wheels

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
I'm currently on Giant PR-2 alloy wheels picked up from a local bicycle recycling centre. They're ~2kg for the pair, ~24mm profile, cost me £20.

I'm looking to do a sensible upgrade from the above. I'm not riding a superbike and don't want to break the bank - would like to keep things under £500, ideally £400, not fussed about material but am a bit of a sucker for that silver breaking surface on alloy wheels. Low-medium profile, say 30-40 mm. Around 1500-1600g.

Found this Hunt Race Aero Wide wheelset and can't help but feel it really ticks a lot of boxes. ~£400, ~1500g, fully tubeless ready - i.e. ship with proper rim tape and tubeless valves. Free UK shipping. Have been around for a while and have good reviews. Not sure about the wider rim bed that effectively widens your tires a bit - I'm under 70kg so not sure if that would benefit me at all. 31mm deep which is at the lower end of what I'm looking for.

Other options I find interesting, compared to Hunt:
- Mavic Ksyrium S, ~£400, ~1600g, 22mm profile, 19mm internal width (same price point but very low profile and a tat heavier).
- Vision Trimax 35, ~£500, ~1650g, 35mm profile, 19mm internal width (pricier and heavier but more aero profile).
- Fulcrum Racing 3, ~£450, ~1600g, 27/30mm profile, 17mm internal width (small difference in price, tat heavier and a similar but ultimately smaller profile, only one on here with a 17mm internal width).

Would welcome any thoughts and other recommendations. There are some things that I'm just unable to compare due to lack of knowledge - like the freehub quality.

Disclaimer(s):
- I'm not averse to carbon wheels, keep in mind it's a rim brake bike though.
- I'm also not averse to buying second hand.
- Not looking to go tubeless right away but want that option without 'ghetto' upgrades.
Try Scribe wheels at Scribecycling.co.uk. Great wheels and value and warranty.

DCLane

Scribe seem decent. The other one, although they might be out of your price range (ask nicely, mention me :okay: ) is my son's wheel sponsor NR6 Cycles who do hand-built carbon wheels. These are track ones, but you get the idea:

Tim_NR6.JPG

I'd have also suggested Zed Wheels, but they're just over the top end of your budget; https://zedbikewheels.com/rim-brake/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peter Salt

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
It's because they had a 40% off discount sale this month. They'll be re-stocking soon.

Just to give you an idea of why we like them; I rode LEL on a 30mm set. Son no. 2 has trained on them and will be doing his UCI race in Belgium on a 38mm set.
Ah, that makes sense. I'm not in a rush. Will monitor the website.
Try DCR for handbuilts maybe
Visited the website, The Aforce Al33 sound good but also sold out. Will ask when they expect stock as well as about 40mm carbons.
At your weight you could go for a lightweight( sub 1500g) handbuilt set ( bike and rider recommended limit 80kg) using Bitex hubs and Kinlin rims with top quality Sapim spokes. Under £400 for the set with options on rim width and depth. I've had several sets of wheels from SPA and always been pleased .
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m10b0s178p3682/SPA-CYCLES-Bitex-RAF10(20h)-RAR9(24h)-with-Choice-Kinlin-rims-built-using-Sapim-CX-Ray-Spokes
Thanks, will have a look at their selection. Would be a good motivator not to let myself go (weight-wise) ;)
scribe wheels
Scribe seem decent. The other one, although they might be out of your price range (ask nicely, mention me :okay: ) is my son's wheel sponsor NR6 Cycles who do hand-built carbon wheels.

I'd have also suggested Zed Wheels, but they're just over the top end of your budget; https://zedbikewheels.com/rim-brake/
Scribe looks popular. The Pace, 1495g for £360, is a strong contender! Thank you!

NR6 - I don't use Facebook I'm afraid and the website says 'coming soon'. Will send them a message and ask for a brochure or something.

Zed - the cheapest ones are $599 which is quite pricey BUT they are 38mm deep and ~1400g. Tempting.

I have the Hunts you mention and I must say I really like them.
I have a 2020 TCR & currently running 28s, plenty of room. The PR2 wheels that it came with were heavy & spoilt the ride IMO, I switched to Hunts shortly after purchasing, but they weren't strong enough for my weight (95kg) so sold them on. For a lighter rider they'll be a big improvement & the aftersales service from Hunt is spot on 👍

Personally I'd be wary of 2nd hand wheels unless you know the history & trust the seller, but with a budget of £500 I would expect you could pick up a quality set of handbuilt wheels & that would be my option :okay:
Yes, a lot of respect for Hunt from what I'm seeing. Definitely still an option.

I was aware of custom wheel builders but didn't know there's something at this price point, let alone such big choice.

I also have a wheel builder locally: Poetry in Motion. By chance, anyone heard of them?

Top Bottom