Under £500 wheel upgrade advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
Hunts/Scribe are great IMO but some friends have had delayed orders. Probably a victim of their own success.

If I was going for anything just now based on the performance of my winter wheels I would go for Wiggle/Chainreaction 's own brand Prime.
I'm using Scribe Pace. Great wheels.

OP
OP
Peter Salt

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
I'm selling a pair of Zipp 302 Carbon wheels if you're interested. There is a listng in the For Sale section ....
@Peter Salt I have the disc brake version of these and they are fantastic wheels.
Ah, thanks for bumping - I somehow missed this in the plethora of messages.

Certainly good to know. Just had a look at the listing and yeah, look good. But man... 45mm... Not sure if I'm ready to go that deep. Will think about it if I decide to go used.

Last edited:

Joffey

Big Dosser
Ah, thanks for bumping - I somehow missed this in the plethora of messages.

Certainly good to know. Just had a look at the listing and yeah, look good. But man... 45mm... Not sure if I'm ready to go that deep. Will think about it if I decide to go used.

^_^ No need to have deep rim fear - they cope in gusts up to 30mph easily and roll beautifully. They are light and the free hub makes a nice noise. 45mm isn't that deep.

I think the RRP was £1200 on mine - £500 is a good price - they will last years. I've had mine for 4 years and they are still as true as the day I bought them. Lots better than the wheels you initially listed on your OP.

You'll be amazed how much they will transform your ride.

OP
OP
Peter Salt

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Poetry in Motion is the first one to get back to me after enquiries. For my price point they recommend:
'- A set of Kinlin XC279's which come in 20, 24, 28 and 32 holes so you have a choice
- A set of Bitex hubs
- Built up with a set of black double butted Race spokes

You would be looking at a starting price of around £345

There are other options of rims, hubs and spokes if you want to upgrade them.'

Which is pretty much what Spa Cycles offer (hardware and price-wise) but closer to where I live so would give them priority.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'd have also suggested Zed Wheels, but they're just over the top end of your budget; https://zedbikewheels.com/rim-brake/
After much dithering I pressed the button on some Aero Ultra (Rim brakes) a couple of days ago, I note they have gone up £100 now so glad I did.

Will report back once delivered and I've found some 28mm GP5000's (preferably tan walls) in stock somewhere so i can properly test them. I have a few stock alerts set up.

Good morning,
...... NR6 - I don't use Facebook I'm afraid and the website says 'coming soon'. Will send them a message and ask for a brochure or something........

I noticed this too, when NR6 were mentioned a week or so ago, then I thought that I was one of those outliers not worth worrying about.:smile: Whilst I get why businesses like FB, you can put up your page for free, but for me having no web site suggests a business that is not really looking for new customers and a coming soon page looks terrible after a few weeks.

Anyway on the subject of wheels, have you considered buying the parts and learning how to lace them up yourself, I did my first wheel in the 1970s just using the bike turned upside down using the brake blocks as a guide. I can't be bothered nowadays as I use wheels in the Shimano RS10/Mavic Askium price range but you are planning to spend more.

The advantage is that you can then just change rims, keeping the hubs and possibly reusing the spokes, for example the Kinlin rims come in at less than £100 retail, Ultegra grade hubs around £150, £25-£35 for the spokes and a labour charge for building the wheels.

So a £350-£450 retail wheel actually has pretty cheap rims, I'm sure that many won't agree but to me hubs are just hubs once you get to Shimano 105 level or above. Don't forget that all the angular inertia stuff about wheels mostly applies to weight as it moves away from the centre of rotation.

Bye

Ian

OP
OP
Peter Salt

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Good morning,

I noticed this too, when NR6 were mentioned a week or so ago, then I thought that I was one of those outliers not worth worrying about.:smile: Whilst I get why businesses like FB, you can put up your page for free, but for me having no web site suggests a business that is not really looking for new customers and a coming soon page looks terrible after a few weeks.

Anyway on the subject of wheels, have you considered buying the parts and learning how to lace them up yourself, I did my first wheel in the 1970s just using the bike turned upside down using the brake blocks as a guide. I can't be bothered nowadays as I use wheels in the Shimano RS10/Mavic Askium price range but you are planning to spend more.

The advantage is that you can then just change rims, keeping the hubs and possibly reusing the spokes, for example the Kinlin rims come in at less than £100 retail, Ultegra grade hubs around £150, £25-£35 for the spokes and a labour charge for building the wheels.

So a £350-£450 retail wheel actually has pretty cheap rims, I'm sure that many won't agree but to me hubs are just hubs once you get to Shimano 105 level or above. Don't forget that all the angular inertia stuff about wheels mostly applies to weight as it moves away from the centre of rotation.

Bye

Ian
Good input, Ian. Thank you. Building the wheels myself - not sure if my life insurance would cover that ;):laugh:

In all fairness, I am a mechanical engineer and the bike these would go on has been build from scratch by me using second hand parts... Still, wouldn't want to risk it, every descent I would think that I've put them together and likely back off :laugh:

Sounds like a cool project though - could try one day just for the heck of it.

OP
OP
Peter Salt

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
I've got Scribe 50mm Carbon and can recommend their service, hub's are very loud though on the freewheel.
I've also got some Campag Zonda's which roll equally as nice and are silent.
Yeah, shame Scribe don't have anything in between the £360 31mm alloy and £870 38mm carbon. Campagnolo - much too fancy for my bike ;):laugh:

I stuck a pair of Fulcrum 3’s on my Cube Peloton a few years ago and have been pleased with them. Bit lighter than what was on and have given me no problems.
Thank you.

^_^ No need to have deep rim fear - they cope in gusts up to 30mph easily and roll beautifully. They are light and the free hub makes a nice noise. 45mm isn't that deep.

I think the RRP was £1200 on mine - £500 is a good price - they will last years. I've had mine for 4 years and they are still as true as the day I bought them. Lots better than the wheels you initially listed on your OP.

You'll be amazed how much they will transform your ride.
You're right 45mm isn't too bad - honestly, I was a bit more worried about aesthetics then side winds :laugh: Found a bunch of videos about these ZIPPs and came to conclusion that that's about as much as I can tolerate in terms of depth.

Also read and watched a bunch of reviews and practically all of them praised the build quality/strength of the construction. Think that's an added bonus as I'm not a very experienced cyclist and can see myself hitting potholes and other stuff.

Reached out to @Kestevan and bought his wheels.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Yeah, shame Scribe don't have anything in between the £360 31mm alloy and £870 38mm carbon. Campagnolo - much too fancy for my bike ;):laugh:

Thank you.

You're right 45mm isn't too bad - honestly, I was a bit more worried about aesthetics then side winds :laugh: Found a bunch of videos about these ZIPPs and came to conclusion that that's about as much as I can tolerate in terms of depth.

Also read and watched a bunch of reviews and practically all of them praised the build quality/strength of the construction. Think that's an added bonus as I'm not a very experienced cyclist and can see myself hitting potholes and other stuff.

Reached out to @Kestevan and bought his wheels.

Great news. We are now wheel brothers ^_^

@Kestevan - my contact details are in my signature - no rush to forward my commission but it's my birthday on Sunday so it'd be nice to treat myself to a cup cake with it :laugh::okay:

Top Bottom