Under heavy fire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
BentMikey said:
LDV1234567 - this account is closed when you try to click it on youtube.

which one of Mags vids does this appear on??

nethalus

magnatom said:
Hi Guys,

Since this whole thing at bloodbus blew up (and what a crazy ride it was! - see my thread in cafe) I have been coming under heavy fire on my youtube videos. Far to many to mention. I think about 100 posts in the last few days. I really tied up at the moment with limited internet access. Can I call on you guys to be my heavy artillery?xx(

Can't you fight your own battles?:?:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Oh what, you mean like when a whole lot of the bloodbus tribe heads on to comment on magnatom's videos?

btw, quite a few of those comments sound to me like they come from a bunch of angry and frustrated schoolyard bullies. It sounds like this video footage is *exactly* what is needed.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
nethalus said:
Can't you fight your own battles?:?:

Netty have you actually been over and had a look thro

1.whats being put on there?
2. the volume of abusive mail thats on there?

It seriously looks like cyberstalking. It happened a few weeks back to Arch when she appeared on telly. People sought out her vids on youtube and just posted abusive comments, not even necessarily about the posted vid. Just plain personally abusive.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of them was your (Bloodbus) 'Paramedic' character. Real well balanced character that one.....

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
nethalus said:
Can't you fight your own battles?:evil:

What, when he's getting people on there threatening to harm him ? Come on, Nethalus - I think even you'd draw the line at thinking that was the way to go about it. I'm sure if everything you posted suddenly came under concerted and vitriolic attack you'd be asking your pals on your forum to help you out too.

Magnatom's only trying to highlight that there are problems for cyclists on the road.

I think many of the attacks are coming via some boy-racer forum though - given the fact that their online presences elsewhere are all linked by the fact that they are into souping up their Corsas and Fiestas and posting pics of them. The additional clue is that one of those threatening Magnatom makes mention of how those on a motoring forum were planning on getting at him.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Hi Nethalus,

Magnatom chose to take a very brave and honourable step in making himself available for comment on Bloodbus. He could have just posted his vids and left it at that. Being the open minded man he is he instead, put his videos and thoughts out to both the cycling and motoring communities to hear the thoughts of others.

Just like myself and many others out there Magnatom is a family man who wants to see the roads safer for everyone concerned. To be met by a seething wall of abuse and threats for having done this is more than one individual should have to expect.

I read through the threads on Bloodbus and I have seen the postings on Magnatom's youtube and I'm sure that if depot managers saw some of the vitriol a small proportion their drivers post, they would think twice about letting some of these individuals out on the route.
Needless to say I think these boastings are just the postings of, as Bentmikey pointed out, playground bullies.

For all our sakes, especially Magnatom's lets hope these postings are just hot air.

killiekosmos

Veteran
magnatom said:
I will of course defend myself if required and I have contacted the information commissioner for Scotland.

Magnatom, A little advice and comments:

(1) The Scottish Information Commissioner (SIC) has no Data Protection responsibilities, these lie with UK Information Commissioner (UKIC). UKIC has a Scottish outpost with a Mr Ken McDonald as the local rep.

(2) The 'debate' about DPA is interesting/entertaining depending upon the posters. My understanding of DPA is that you (one) does not need to register with UKIC if the personal information you collect is for a hobby. However I do think we are all supposed to adhere to the eight principles in DPA. The UKIC has powers of enforcement and individuals have oppportunity to seek redress for damage and distress. I had a look at some of your videos and if I were the taxi driver in the Q whom you claim threatened to knock you off, I'd complain (as it is not obvious from the video that he threatened you). He could claim your statements were slanderous and caused him damage as a taxi driver.

(3) Comment - can't you chill out a bit when cycling? It's supposed to be a healthy thing to do but I suspect your blood pressure rises and stress levels soar as you cycle through Glasgow.

col

Legendary Member
I have to echo what Killie says.in my opinion,get rid of the cam,and go out to enjoy your cycling,i mean what did you expect nowadays?And people who are being identified and shown on the web,in some cases,are going to react badly to it,which could put you at risk in different ways,its not worth it,you have a family to think of.Even though i agree with your idea and motives,i think its time to stand back.

Thirded: As I said before " I worry about you Magnatom". I think you're doing a good job in highlighting awareness of cyclists but I'm not sure if some of your 'confrontations' are counter-productive. I also think you just need to step back a bit, maybe leave the cam behind as Col said and remember that most people have not read Cyclecraft (including me). When you start deliberately pursuing drivers to confront them, I'd say you're stepping over the line of what's healthy.

Also, some of these people now know you're cycling route. It'd be bad enough if they targeted you but imagine how you'd feel if they mistakenly took out someone else - By the way some of those threats in Goo's link maybe need reporting.

Think about it.

civ

tdr1nka said:
For all our sakes, especially Magnatom's lets hope these postings are just hot air.

They most likely are, it's easy to act tough online - but it only takes one nutter looking for internet fame... :evil:

I wouldn't worry too much, but I'd be looking for an alternitive to going through that tunnel cycle path every day if possible!

Top Bottom