Under heavy fire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I defo wouldn't be leaving the cam behind with that many threats. I'm sure they're hot air too, but the cam will make it far less likely that anyone will try it on with you.

No perhaps not just now BM but in future. Magnatom has eluded to feeling safer because of the cam. You're aware of risk compensation I know.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Mag, have you thought of mounting the cam elsewhere, somewhere less visible?

I wondered if you had it facing behind you under the saddle possibly?
Most of your vid examples are of overtaking and blocking in where footage from behind you could possibly prove more useful, drivers reg and facial expressions for example.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Actually I think I'll be safer with the helmet camera on. It is pretty small and quite difficult to see. Most people don't notice it until I point it out to them. With the camera on, if anyone does try anything, I will have some evidence. I can cycle away pretty quickly!

It just so happens that one of my kids is just starting nursery this week. This will mean that my times for cycling are going to change anyway.

I have changed the reply options on youtube. Now I can vet everything. I am more than happy to allow people who disagree with me to post, but not people who threaten me!

col

Legendary Member
I see your point about having it for evidence,but it was posted about smashing it,so it may be a way of identifying you too.

(3) Comment - can't you chill out a bit when cycling? It's supposed to be a healthy thing to do but I suspect your blood pressure rises and stress levels soar as you cycle through Glasgow.

I used to be terrible but it caused me more grief than for what it was worth.Slightest little thing used to get me going...but i've seen it all before.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
What about getting the bus magntom, might be a lot less stressful, and you wouldn't need to video anyone?

Can you adopt primary position whilst sat on a bus? :evil:

domd1979

Veteran
Lots of people do - sitting either in the middle of a seat or on the outside so nobody else can sit in the other space!!

Steve Austin said:
Can you adopt primary position whilst sat on a bus? :ohmy:

Cab

What a state...

Mag, I think that in nearly everything you exemplify with your videos on youtube you are correct. The trouble is that this is the internet, you can't win an argument on unvetted fora against a background noise of bullies and idiots and, regrettably, youtube just ain't set up for what you've been trying to do. If you then go and poke hornets nests like bloodbus with a dirty great stick then you'll get trouble.

If you can find a reasoned, thinking bunch of motorists in their own corner of the internet then you may well have more luck. Trouble is, it ain't the reasoned, thinking motorists who are the problem. Almost by definition you're trying to convince the most recalcitrant, difficult people on the road through the one route where they're least vulnerable to persuasion; their minds.

Add to that the near anonymity they can gain online, and the strange capacity for the internet to turn people into bigger morons than they already are, and I tend to think that you're on to a loser.

That doesn't mean that I think your aims are wrong or that what you're saying is wrong. It just means that there will always be idiots who try to give you trouble for it.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Hmm.

Well, I have said before that I am ambivalent about the use of cameras in this way. I was involved in camcorder activism (as part of the Undercurrents collective) back in the mid-nineties, and we used video recording as a way of protecting activists from police and security guard violence, as well as to keep a record for people to be able to see later. It works in that context, however cameras often attract violence too - I saw a photographer from the Independent getting the crap beaten out of him by police on one of the anti-Criminal Justice Act marches.

In this context though, it's slightly different. You are challenging what many drivers, in fact many people, perceive as minor infractions and making them into something worthy of a direct challenge. By doing this you are increasing the temperature of arguments, and contributing to the general level of aggression out there (and not least your own). You are certainly 'right' in the sense of having the law and morality on your side, but the question is whether that is in itself enough, or even if it is always worth being 'right' in any situation.

My own experience (in real life as opposed to forum arguments) is that it is often better to know that you are right and take up really bad incidents with local authorities, police and companies (where relevent) later, rather than directly confronting people every time, and especially directly confronting them while camera'd up.

The other issue is the broader one of surveillance - do you want to encourage a society where people are made to behave because they are being watched all the time, or where they behave because they know it is right? As somone who studies the relationship between the decline of social trust and the increase in public space surveillance (or which this can be seen as simply a very personal version), I am uneasy about the proliferation of cameras, even when they are used in supposedly empowering ways. Uneasy, not I should emphasise, condemning it.

However that's a choice you've got to make. I do not have a clear answer and am rather suspicious of anyone who claims to have a single answer to what is sensible for all situations all the time.

spindrift

that Bloodbus forum is bonkers, loads of people claiming they've been sacked cos of magn's clips- utter bullsh1t.

I'd register and argue with the blighters but life's too short, laugh at them instead.

Good points FM
But I wouldn’t let a small minority of bigoted thugs change your behaviour magnatom. How many of us are car drivers as well? I am, and when I look at yours and ismikes clips with examples of terrible drivers on them, I don’t take it personally as an attack – possibly because I don’t identify myself with the idiots you’ve captured on tape – just as the few clips on their of terrible cycling don’t offend me either. I don’t drive a bus, but I’m out on the road with them nearly every day as either a cyclist, motorist, ped or passenger – like most groups on the road, I find most bus drivers pleasant, courteous and professional, the vast majority treat me with respect – there are the odd idiots as in all walks of life.
I think most bus drivers would look at your clips and think they illustrate pretty terrible judgment on the part of the drivers – they would probably comment that, in the course of their daily jobs they observe many idiots driving and cycling badly – just like the rest of us – and that you shouldn’t tar all bus drivers with the same brush. And to be fair magnatom, reading trough your posts on youtube, you go out of your way to defend most bus drivers from the occasional posts that slur them all.
These drivers, however, aren’t going to feel compelled to stick up for you, just as most people wouldn’t bother to post on something they don’t feel that strongly about – that just leaves you with sympathisers and a load of uneducated bigots.
I think the ones that have orchestrated a campaign against you from bloodbus are the bad apples that are either shown in these clips or identify with the poor standards of driving shown. From their posts to each other and to you, you can tell they are a pretty ignorant bunch, I’m surprised most of them can spell “c**t” and “deserve to get run over” correctly.
By the responses you are getting, I’d say you’re touching a nerve –you’re really getting under the skin of the MINORITY of bad bus drivers in Glasgow. I’d keep that camera on, and keep posting up examples of piss poor driving standards, the only people its provoking are the idiots who think all cyclists are scum and deserve to be killed for cycling on the road and not in the gutter. Keep a record of the threats and intimidation you’ve received in this very public arena – most of them would be pretty easy to trace if things got more serious. From the way they are behaving, I’d say they feel like their backs are up against the wall.

Top Bottom