Undertaking a left turning HGV!?!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J4CKO

Just keep away from trucks, period !

I had a prick overtake me in Merc, crossing a small narrow bridge, in his frenzy to get past the evil cyclist that was eeping him from the queue of traffic waiting at the next junction he didnt notice the car coming the other way, lots of horn blasting and hand gestures, same journey, I spotted an Audi overtake a school coach, again a frenzy to get past in a thirty and nearly hit an oncoming car, it was on a bend as well.

Amazes me the lengths car drivers will go to in the name of saving a few seconds, then get to work and stand gabbing or get home and vegitate in front of the telly.

Somebody shoul dhave a word and tell German "prestige" car owners that they are no more important than anyone else, and that by and large everyone thinks they are Cocks !

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
MacBludgeon said:
My personal favourite was many moons ago, I lived on a steep road that t-junctioned onto the main road at the bottom. I was walking to the train station and there was a lorry waiting at the bottom of the road. An early boy racer type zipped right up behind the lorry. Of course when the lorry pulled out onto the main road the back lowered. Crushed the front of this kids car, he wasn't happy.
The road I live in is one of several off a slightly larger road. All but one along this stretch continue (post crossroads) over the other side of this road. One (t-junction) doesn't. Once a year or so, some boy racer barrels down the 'one', over the larger road, and into the garden wall opposite. My how we laugh. Apart from the guy who owns the wall of course...

Tynan said:
a left turn that leaves enough space for a car to come up the inside sounds like a questionable maneuver, in the absence of seeing, I'd think the truck driver would share some liability

Apparentley there wasn't enough room room for him to come up the inside!!:biggrin:

As Arch has already said. This was a huuuuuge HGV with a very long trailer trying to go around a very tight bend, so would have had to swing out a fair bit. I was coming along the road that he was pulling into so didn't actually see if he had signaled etc.

I didn't leave details as there were alot of people getting out of cars etc and I didn't really see much apart fronm the lorry spitting the car out from behind!

purplepolly

When I learnt to drive way back in the mid nineties, the official driving manual clearly pointed out that a HGV in the RH lane signalling left could be doing so because it has a larger turning circle than a car. Drivers don't always memorise the entire book, but it's only common sense in this case. Which is sadly lacking where a lot of drivers are concerned.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
This reminds me. There was another petition on the no10 website about driving skills declining and asking that drivers be restested every 10 years. It filled up with loads of spaff about "pitty the poor motorist" :blush:

Said "signees" were removed. Though I think the petition is still up if anyone wants to look for it.

Tynan

Veteran
Rhythm Thief said:
Hmmmm. You've never driven an artic, have you?

Hmmmmm, No, how many on here have

I think my post had a few, maybes and depends in it

as for space, if the car got inside then there must have been space, granted it would have vanished a little later

I bet HGV drivers are taught to check inside when they make one of them great big swinging turns, as I said, some liability, maybe

Tynan said:

I think my post had a few, maybes and depends in it

as for space, if the car got inside then there must have been space, granted it would have vanished a little later

I bet HGV drivers are taught to check inside when they make one of them great big swinging turns, as I said, some liability, maybe

I have, and do every day, primarily in an urban environment. I've had a few occasions where a driver has tried to come up the inside of my truck while I've been turning left from the right hand lane (with my indicator on) and I'm afraid that if they want to argue with my trailer wheels, that's their lookout.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
The only time I have ever seen a car squashed while undertaking was years a go when a Porshe tried to do it to a large artic coming off the roundabout near waterloo station, It was a scary sight seeing that car completley flat, the back wheels of the truck had gone right over it and pushed it in to the railings, couldn't see the driver anywhere I have a feeling he jumped out as the soft top was down!:angry:
I will never forget that one!!

cycling fisherman

Tynan said:

I have and i still do on some weekends, you clearly have the opinion that it's the drivers fault.

I assume what was more likely was that before the artic driver has begun his turn the silver car was probably right up the wagons arse, so the driver could not see him in his mirrors, I assume that the tit in the silver car was probably on his phone as the artic indicated left and then moved slightly to the right.

I assume that the car saw the gap and swiftly turned from behind the artic.

I assume that the artic begun his turn and his cab was too far round for him to see down his left side, if he did look in his left mirror on the turn he would only see the side of his trailer.

I assume that the car saw his gap closing and trailer wheels coming accross on him opening his car like a tin opener.

I assume the car driver initially and still does blame the artic driver.

I assume that you, Tynan are a person who is uneducated in basic hgv road sense and that you are a tit.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
cycling fisherman said:
I have and i still do on some weekends, you clearly have the opinion that it's the drivers fault.

I assume what was more likely was that before the artic driver has begun his turn the silver car was probably right up the wagons arse, so the driver could not see him in his mirrors, I assume that the tit in the silver car was probably on his phone as the artic indicated left and then moved slightly to the right.

I assume that the artic begun his turn and his cab was too far round for him to see down his left side, if he did look in his left mirror on the turn he would only see the side of his trailer.

I assume that the car saw his gap closing and trailer wheels coming accross on him opening his car like a tin opener.

I assume that you, Tynan are a person who is uneducated in basic hgv road sense and that you are a tit.

..and I assume you've wasted 10 minutes of your life just to try and get a rise out of him.:tongue:

Tynan

Veteran
cycling fisherman said:

class post fella, well done

Top Bottom