Undertaking a left turning HGV!?!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That's what a guy in a shiney brand new Honda tried to do this morning! unfortunately I didn't catch the incident on camera, but take my word for it the car was a right old mess. I can't believe that this is the 2nd time I've seen this in the last 6 months!

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Oops.

I hope your commute was not unduly inconvenienced, EMD!

col

Legendary Member
If there is one thing I always do, is stay away from hgv's even when Im in my car.

Origamist said:
Was anyone hurt?

No, it was at very low speed although the rip down the side of the car looked like someone had taken a large hot knife to butter. The car was actually taking the same left turn. It only goes into 2 companies, so there's a chance the HGV was delivering to this guys work!!!

Arch

Married to Night Train
I was rubber necking last night, when a chap swung out of the little private carpark opposite, and apparently cracked the front of his car smartly on the stout wooden post that holds the chain they close it off with. Either that, or he'd actually driven into and over the chain (which is a few inches off the ground in the middle). It was too dark to see exactly what had happened. Either way, he was there for some time, apprently trying to refit his bumper.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Best one I ever saw involving impatient drivers was as a kid. One of our local cinemas wanted to control the flow of traffic as people had smacked into one another head on using the wrong way in on the cinema car park, so the cinema put up those roll-over spikes to deter those from exiting through the entrance.

I was in the back of the car coming out, Dad driving and we were behind 2 other cars iirc that were also waiting to exit. This fella saw the queue and thought "s*d this!" and drove towards the entrance. Pzzzzzttttttt!! Both front tyres deflated.

Spikes were removed after a year or so for gates instead. :biggrin:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
like the last one and have also been amused by people trying to sneak through the retracting bollards after a bus.

My personal favourite was many moons ago, I lived on a steep road that t-junctioned onto the main road at the bottom. I was walking to the train station and there was a lorry waiting at the bottom of the road. An early boy racer type zipped right up behind the lorry. Of course when the lorry pulled out onto the main road the back lowered. Crushed the front of this kids car, he wasn't happy.

Eat MY Dust said:
That's what a guy in a shiney brand new Honda tried to do this morning! unfortunately I didn't catch the incident on camera, but take my word for it the car was a right old mess. I can't believe that this is the 2nd time I've seen this in the last 6 months!

If you were the only witness I hope you did the responsible thing and left your details with the lorry driver for his insurance claim, or against the car driver's insurance claim ?

downfader said:
Nasty. Some people completely underestimate the turning circle of HGVs or their blind spots even with motors. ;)

Object lesson for all cyclists : If the hgv driver failed to see a (stupid) Honda on the inside then they may never see a cyclist. It really isn't always the hgv drivers fault when a cyclist gets squashed.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
John Ponting said:
Object lesson for all cyclists : If the hgv driver failed to see a (stupid) Honda on the inside then they may never see a cyclist. It really isn't always the hgv drivers fault when a cyclist gets squashed.

agreed, lack of common sense isn't limited to car drivers, I'd never take a chance with a lorry in my car and so no way on a bike

Tynan

Veteran
a left turn that leaves enough space for a car to come up the inside sounds like a questionable maneuver, in the absence of seeing, I'd think the truck driver would share some liability

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tynan said:
a left turn that leaves enough space for a car to come up the inside sounds like a questionable maneuver, in the absence of seeing, I'd think the truck driver would share some liability

I don't know, a tight turn into a narrow road, the lorry could very well need to be almost on the other side of the road.

Assuming he was indicating left, anyone who went up the left is a complete idiot. Sadly, most people who haven't driven a long vehicle just don't take turning circles in to account.

Top Bottom