Undertaking or Must Pass Cyclist moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthames

Über Member
This so reminds me of the I had right of way on the tombstone scenario. I guess from what you are saying is that the car came from behind you and was not where the car should of been. You should really expect the unexpected, there will be times when drivers, typically ones unfamiliar with the area would probably drive up areas like that by mistake.

Had I been following you on a motorbike or even cycle, I would of probably done exactly what that car did. The reason for this is your position indicates that you are heading for the right hand lane, if you were to then look over your left shoulder and indicate left I would automatically change my plan to compensate.

In front of the bus the driver has a good clear view of you. If you were to position yourself further left and in front of the bus, your intentions to take the left hand lane would be clear. It would of been a lot safer than what you did in your video IMO.

davidg

your lack of realisation that you are not 100% correct is quite worrying, 33....

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
E-mailed via youtube.

"just piss off u useless ****"

A straight cut & paste, however the message will not display as received

Will the sender have the guts to own up? A new high in lows.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Oh, I wouldn't take those sorts of comments to heart. I get that sort of thing every now and then, usually from some petrol-head idiot. Just block the user and delete the comments. I reckon it's just a random youtube user rather than someone on here.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Matthames said:
This so reminds me of the I had right of way on the tombstone scenario. I guess from what you are saying is that the car came from behind you and was not where the car should of been. You should really expect the unexpected, there will be times when drivers, typically ones unfamiliar with the area would probably drive up areas like that by mistake.

Had I been following you on a motorbike or even cycle, I would of probably done exactly what that car did. The reason for this is your position indicates that you are heading for the right hand lane, if you were to then look over your left shoulder and indicate left I would automatically change my plan to compensate.

In front of the bus the driver has a good clear view of you. If you were to position yourself further left and in front of the bus, your intentions to take the left hand lane would be clear. It would of been a lot safer than what you did in your video IMO.

I dont think his position indicates anything of his intention at all, and as such I'd be inclined to hold back if I were behind. After all you're approaching a junction and it isnt worth overtaking just for that little space. You have the added benefit that you'd be able to hold back and find out what the cyclist is actually up to (after all there may be a reason we havent noticed that later explains why someone has taken a decision or position)

As I said earlier I could well beleive that the driver would still try and undertake if he was close to the kerb. The best advice I can offer here is as you approach a junction check your left shoulder also.

Classic - can I ask (cant remember if its been asked already) were you signalling left before or as he undertook?

We have a road like this in Southampton City Center which is closed to everything except cycles, busses and taxis. There are a lot of drivers who ignore this so its quite funny when the bus drivers conspire to block them off and they have to drive all the way back around ;)

Lastly I see one of the resident youtube cyclist-haters Mattew1999 has left his infinite wisdom. What people want and what they should do are two entirely different things. Wasnt him who left the email was it?

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
BentMikey said:
Oh, I wouldn't take those sorts of comments to heart. I get that sort of thing every now and then, usually from some petrol-head idiot. Just block the user and delete the comments. I reckon it's just a random youtube user rather than someone on here.

Its not a comment on you tube but an e-mail via youtube.
Maybe it is a random youtube user & I'll apologize now, to all, if Iv'e offended anyone on here by implying that it was someone on here. All I've done is return it, hopefully there it will be read by the sender. I'll then work from there.

Downfader
I wasnt indicating left at the point he passed. Two reasons: the clearly marked bus stands & the junction which has traffic comining out of it.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
You mean a private message? I was including all of private messages, profile comments, and video comments in my post above.

Don't waste a moment's thought on comments like this, just delete them straight away.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
i had this posted once
hi there, i just had a look at a few of your videos, and i came up with the conclusion that you need to get another hobby mate. there are so many dating sites you could join these days! and how have you got the nerve to call these people "bad drivers" when your the one on a bicycle with a freaking camera in your hand? maybe if you kept your eyes on the road instead of on the camera, you might be able to watch where your cycling, therefore, no more near crashes for you! idiot.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I saw that one gaz, it made me laugh. Typical of a certain sort of petrolhead - I think it's an attitude coming from guilt at their own bad driving and hatred of you for daring to put it online.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I actually enjoy the waffling of one or two of the trolls on there. Fairwaynoob is one, hilarious. He went through about 20 towns trying to figure out where I was, saying he was going to kill me. ;) Pillock, only had to look at one of the videos and the info on the page. :smile:

Yeah I agree, most are just pillocks who are having a break inbetween knocking one out so dont let it worry you. Some of the comments are harder to tell though, so end up engaging for a little while before you realise.

Perhaps we should publish a list of our fave anticyclist trolls on youtube :smile:

Top Bottom