Undertaking or Must Pass Cyclist moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

What were you doing in the middle of the road?

It's a 20 limit, but were you doing 20?

You hung around right in the middle, so a motorist is going to come past you whichever side is wider, and on this occasion, it was the left.

I know exactly what that driver was thinking… "What's this prat on a bike doing?"

If you think that is rough, go to New York.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
So there is at least some agreement between us Jimbo!

joebingo

Über Member
From the description on youtube.
Undertaken by a driver who seems to feel that I was holding him up.
He shouldn't have been there as the road is clearly marked no motor vehicles except buses & taxis. He gained nowt by his actions, other than a longer wait at the lights, having sped past on my left.

The guy shouldn't have been driving there. I've gotta say though, classic33. If he was a taxi or bus, you would have been un-necessarily holding him up had the lights been green. It wasn't particularly speedy progress, nor correct road positioning for the speed you were travelling (presumably would have been faster if the lights were green though?)

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
stowie said:
Classic33 mentions in his comments on YouTube that the road is closed to motor traffic except taxis and buses. Seeing as this car has no taxi markings, I would assume it shouldn't be there in the first place.
No cars had taxi markings in the video.
OP, about 20 seconds into the video, you almost sideswiped the car. Why?

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
jimboalee said:
What were you doing in the middle of the road?

It's a 20 limit, but were you doing 20?

You hung around right in the middle, so a motorist is going to come past you whichever side is wider, and on this occasion, it was the left.

I know exactly what that driver was thinking… "What's this prat on a bike doing?"

If you think that is rough, go to New York.

Well thats b*ll*cks mate. Its a limit for one, not a target. Secondly there is a clear red light ahead and he's illegally using the road with his car. As we all know it says in the rule of overtaking "is it necessary and is it safe". It was not necessary.

On this particular road I'd say he's entitled to be further out as there are no markings until you reach the lights.

mr_hippo said:
OP, about 20 seconds into the video, you almost sideswiped the car. Why?

Looked like the driver almost sideswiped the cyclist to be more specific.

jimboalee

downfader said:
Well thats b*ll*cks mate. Its a limit for one, not a target. Secondly there is a clear red light ahead and he's illegally using the road with his car. As we all know it says in the rule of overtaking "is it necessary and is it safe". It was not necessary.

On this particular road I'd say he's entitled to be further out as there are no markings until you reach the lights.

Yup, you're right, 20mph is the Max, not the target. Although it's desperately slow when you're sat in a car.

What you couldn't disagree with though is the cyclist should have been riding at a distance from the curb as to not give room for the curbside pass.
Where would that be? Through the empty bus stops areas.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
jimboalee said:
Yup, you're right, 20mph is the Max, not the target. Although it's desperately slow when you're sat in a car and trying to get out of a restricted zone.

What you couldn't disagree with though is the cyclist should have been riding at a distance from the curb as to not give room for the curbside pass.
Where would that be? Through the empty bus stops areas.

I know from experience that being closer to the kerb would still result in the driver getting past. Its the nature of their attitude presented, I personally think that it would have ended up as a close overtake instead at best, or a wing mirror in the a*** on the left at worst. He was better central as he avoided conflict.

thomas

the tank engine
I think that the driver assumed you wanted the right hand lane, as you were very far right. You don't need to go around a bus stop like that.

I'm not saying hold the left gutter, but a primary on the left may have made more sense, even if any driver still had to rush to the lights.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
thomas said:
I think that the driver assumed you wanted the right hand lane, as you were very far right. You don't need to go around a bus stop like that.

I'm not saying hold the left gutter, but a primary on the left may have made more sense, even if any driver still had to rush to the lights.

But Thomas, mate.. there were no road markings therefore technically he was in primary. :laugh:

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
At the point he passed me there's a junction, clearly marked, to the left. Checked at that point to make sure that nothing was coming out.
He then chooses that point, the junction, to pass. Not enough room on the left before that to get past. Behind him, the bus which followed him through.

Road is a single lane upto the lights, where two lanes are used to seperate traffic turning left, going straight on or right.

thomas

the tank engine
classic33 said:
Road is a single lane upto the lights, where two lanes are used to seperate traffic turning left, going straight on or right.

Technically. If I was going left (or the left hand lane at the lights) I wouldn't of been as far right as you. If a car was on the far right, I would probably assume they were heading for the right hand lane, rather than going to pull back into the left hand lane.

I'm not blaming you, just saying why I think it happened so maybe you can position yourself differently in the future. I think overtaking a cyclist up to a red light is a bit pointless.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I would have been either further left or further right. There's no point in trying to control a road that wide, and I'm completely unsurprised by that undertake.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I can't see much wrong with that. The idea that you did anything wrong on a road that (a) has no road markings (:biggrin: is 20mph (c) the car shouldn't have been there and (d) there was a red light at the end of anyway seems ludicrous. I've had similar stupid maneuvers in bus gates, if I had a camera they'd have been off to the authorities to not to have a word with them for (a) breaking the bus gate (:smile: doing dangerous moves.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Oh, I don't think we're suggesting that the OP did anything wrong - that was the driver doing wrong. On the other hand we are suggesting better defensive riding that would have sidestepped the close overtake.

Top Bottom