Undertaking or Must Pass Cyclist moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
BentMikey said:
I would have been either further left or further right. There's no point in trying to control a road that wide, and I'm completely unsurprised by that undertake.

So its ok for driver of a motor vehicle to pass a cyclist on the left, approaching a junction. But for a cyclist to attempt the same move on a motor vehicle isn't.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
classic33 said:
So its ok for driver of a motor vehicle to pass a cyclist on the left, approaching a junction . But for cyclist to attempt the same isn't.

See post #30 I just made. No excuses for the driver, they are completely in the wrong. On the other hand the only thing you can change (and all the rest of us too) in future situations is to ride differently and get around the problem.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
If classic kept further to the left I can see them smacking into the lane at the last minute. Like I said I've had similar stunts in bus gates and had I had a camera would be tempted to report it, they can break a bus gate/restriction if they want but the arsing around is too much.

thomas

the tank engine
marinyork said:
If classic kept further to the left I can see them smacking into the lane at the last minute. Like I said I've had similar stunts in bus gates and had I had a camera would be tempted to report it, they can break a bus gate/restriction if they want but the arsing around is too much.

I guess it depends which evil you prefer ;)

hambones

My take for what it's worth...

Fair pass on the left with 2 lanes of traffic and slow moving bike on the right. Bike then decides to switch lanes as approaches lights.

I imagine most won't see it that way though... :biggrin:

thomas

the tank engine
hambones said:

Fair pass on the left with 2 lanes of traffic and slow moving bike on the right. Bike then decides to switch lanes as approaches lights.

I imagine most won't see it that way though... :sad:

Technically the car was in an area they shouldn't have been in...and undertaking is naughty....but had the OP been a car I'd of probably undertook them on the bike if they were that far over :biggrin:

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
hambones said:

I imagine most won't see it that way though... :biggrin:

Single lane that divides at the lights into two lanes. Left hand side of the road taken up by bus stands.

With a bus behind you, as well as the car, at this stage. How many would feel safe pulling/moving left possibly into the path of a bus?
The bus could take one of two routes, pull in at one of the stands or continue on.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
classic33 said:
Single lane that divides at the lights into two lanes. Left hand side of the road taken up by bus stands.

With a bus behind you, as well as the car, at this stage. How many would feel safe pulling/moving left possibly into the path of a bus?
The bus could take one of two routes, pull in at one of the stands or continue on.

In fairness, you could have looked, signalled and negotiated into the left side quite a bit earlier.

davidg

so you try to block the whole road and complain when a car goes past you, then post it trying to show how stupid the car driver is?

amazing

1. Seems to be two other cars in that road – are you sure it’s closed to cars?
2. Up until the car undertook you (as you got to the drain cover) I presumed you were heading to the right hand lane – which is probably what the driver thought as they approached the lights.

Sorry, but I’m with the position your self better and make your intentions clearer lot...

jimboalee

At the beginning and end of your vidiclip, the camera angle swings round a lot. Was the camera on your helmet?

Between the beginning and the end while you were riding in the centre of the road, why didn't the camera angle swing round to the left and right to check for vehicles following?

You were not observant enough.
You were in the centre and 4ft from the curb would have put you out of danger.
Mirror, signal, manouver.

No rearward glance, no signal and you remained in the centre where it is dangerous.
The motorist though you was intent on staying in the middle, so passed the slower moving stream of traffic.

Matthames

Über Member
I think the OP should of been over to the left a bit more, the road looks like it was a one-way street so the car undertaking would of been totally legal. It was unclear of what the OP's intentions were up until crossing to go into the left-hand lane at the end. When lane changing like that you need to check your left hand shoulder and give clear signals of your intentions. When ever faced with a situation like that I try to be as predictable as possible.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
User3143 said:
Worse bit of riding I have ever seen posted via a vid. 'Maybe' the car shouldn't have been there (I'd check that becuase usually a traffic ban only applies at certain times of the day) don't give you the right to dawdle at roughly 6mph trying to take up the whole road. Then you moan when you get undertaken?!? You're an idiot.
Come on, Lee... don't sit on the fence old chap. ;)

I agree with some about your road positioning and speed probably doing little to help you, and I too thought the lane change/selection was a tad late... but if the car shouldn't have been there in the first place then simply report them and try to learn from the comments here about positioning to try and avoid this in the future.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
TwickenhamCyclist
After the lights there's a junction, to the right. This allows traffic to legally enter the road in question. Not as the driver of the car did. After that there's a junction to the left. At the point he passed is the fourth junction on that stretch of road.

jimboalee
At the beginning and end of your vidiclip, the camera angle swings round a lot. Was the camera on your helmet?
Yes, its a helmet mounted camera. I'd joined from a side road, just before the lights, hence the left turn by me. Check made for traffic before entering onto the road.

Between the beginning and the end while you were riding in the centre of the road, why didn't the camera angle swing round to the left and right to check for vehicles following?
Single lane traffic as explained. Behind the car there's a bus (prevents me from seeing further back). Same bus could also have have pulled into any of the bus stands on the left, where they have priority. Are you seriously saying that I should have pulled in front of a bus?
4ft from the curb would have put me in front of the bus.

User3143
Its a 24 hour/total ban that applies to private motor vehicles. Meaning buses, taxis & cycles only, clearly signed at the beginning, which the driver chose to ignore.

The two lanes start exactly where marked, not before.
How a person can change lanes if there is only one lane!

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
jimboalee Something you posted elsewhere
jimboalee said:
Shall I sum up "Dynamic envelope" in two sentances?

"A cyclist will occupy as much width on the road as he needs".

"It might be the whole width of the lane".

Top Bottom