Undertaking or Must Pass Cyclist moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
From the start of the video your in the right side of the road, then slowly moving towards the left?
As impatient and silly as the driver was to undertake you to get 3/4m up the road, it's not hard to say that if you were more clear with your positioning it wouldn't have happened.
6 of one half a dozen of the other in my books.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
gaz said:
From the start of the video your in the right side of the road, then slowly moving towards the left?
As impatient and silly as the driver was to undertake you to get 3/4m up the road, it's not hard to say that if you were more clear with your positioning it wouldn't have happened.
6 of one half a dozen of the other in my books.

Not really. There are no dividing line markings on that bit of the road.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
There's not much point in trying to control a road that wide. I'd just stick closer to one side and let the guy past. Doesn't excuse his actions of course, not just the impatient pass before red lights, but also that he shouldn't even be driving in that area.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I'm not giving that as an excuse for the undertake by the driver. BUT if the positioning was clearer then it wouldn't have happened. i wouldn't ever give a car enough room to undertake either.

my 2p

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
gaz Fair comment.
However
Road is one way, with a light operated pedestrian crossing on a road narrowing. This puts it down to a single lane where joined. Road opens out further on, however there are clearly marked bus stands.

BentMikey
Two junctions to the left & the bus stands make it safer to stay out.

marinyork

20 zone and no road markings. The driver is an idiot.

I thought the positioning was clear, stayed pretty central bearing in mind the lack of road markings, road shape and parked cars. One reading would be that that sort of positioning would be exactly the right sort of thing to do. I wouldn't have called that controlling behaviour as classic33 wasn't going fast, I'd have called it practical.

It's time to deploy the what if it was a car question. If a car was idling but not crawling towards a set of traffic lights on red on a narrow road with no dividing line towards the middle of it would you overtake/undertake? The answer is no. So the driver is a moron.

Tynan

Veteran
if you leave a gap inside you big enough for a car, you're going to get one, siple as that, they'll have no idea whatsoever what you;re doing 'out there'

marinyork

Tynan said:
if you leave a gap inside you big enough for a car, you're going to get one, siple as that, they'll have no idea whatsoever what you;re doing 'out there'

It doesn't matter a fig, classic33 has priority.

stowie

Legendary Member
Classic33 mentions in his comments on YouTube that the road is closed to motor traffic except taxis and buses. Seeing as this car has no taxi markings, I would assume it shouldn't be there in the first place.

tightwad

You were either drunk or pulling a trailer advertising something? I'm guessing the latter which is why you stopped at the red light.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
tightwad said:
You were either drunk or pulling a trailer advertising something? I'm guessing the latter which is why you stopped at the red light.

If I was drunk I wouldn't have been cycling. If I'd been pulling a trailer http://www.bikesatwork.com/bike-trailers/model-96a-bike-trailer.html
I'd not have got through.

Stopping when the light is red is a legal requirement. Not stopping is what gets all cyclists tarred with the same brush.

P.S. Never been drunk in my life, Some of us know when to stop drinking.

+1 Tynan.

Sod what is right and wrong, if you dawdle like that over such a wide space then somebody is going to take the opportunity if they see fit. If you don't want them on your left, then close that left side space down, likewise to the right.

Top Bottom