Unenjoyable commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I didn't enjoy my commute in this morning. :biggrin: However, it was nothing to do with traffic (very little on a Sunday!), or the weather (nice and dry) or a p*&cture.

It was all my own fault :biggrin:.

Yesterday I was finishing off fitting the shower tray and shower door by putting sealant around the door. I had one of those tubes of sealant that you need to cut open (and place in the gun thingy). Did I use scissors? Oh no. Did I use a stanley knife the way it should by cutting away from my hands? Oh no. Did I manage to slice into the skin (and not far from the bone) on the top of my index finger joint? Oh yes. Bu@@er!

So it is all strapped up (steri strips applied). I thought it would be fine cycling with four fingers on my left hand. Oh no! My finger was loupin (throbbing sore for non Glaswegians) all the way in :eek:.

Oh well I have the cycle back to look forward to....xx(

Go on who will be the first to say it......:ohmy:

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Hope the ride back is better - don't you work in a hospital by the way? Maybe some colleagues may be able to suggest a more cycling friendly way of dressing the injury?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I do work in a hospital, however, I got it dressed yesterday by a nurse in the local doctors surgery. The problem is I need to keep that finger straight. I don't think redressing it will help :biggrin:

I will be redressing it tonight so I will take a photo then :biggrin:.

catwoman

magnatom said:
I will be redressing it tonight so I will take a photo then :biggrin:.

Sympathy to you for your injury. I'm sure I'm capable of doing something like that to myself. Not sure I'd like to see the photo though and if you put it on I know I shall just have to look. :eek::biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
strap it in some way to stiffen the joint and remind you that it shouldn't be bent?

and you silly arse

accidents like that are there to remind us not to do that again for a long time

Plax

Guru
Comisserations. Make a splint out of something like a lollipop stick. Should ensure that you do not bend the finger.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Mmm. looking at my knuckle it is starting to go a bit red and warm. bummer it might be infected. :smile: I need to finsih something at work, a painful ride home and then I'll have a close look at it. I think I will probably be off the bike this week :sad::sad::sad:.

The bandage is pretty stiff, but I will put something else in to stiffen it when I redress it, and yes, Tynan, I was a silly arse :smile:

The shower is looking great now though.....:smile:

Tynan

Veteran
swelling and heat is a normal reaction, any sort of grown man shouldn't worry about infection, not in this country anyway

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Tynan said:
swelling and heat is a normal reaction, any sort of grown man shouldn't worry about infection, not in this country anyway

Hmm, it's fairly remote from the injury. I'll see when I have a gander at it tonight....

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Tynan said:
ah, I see, sorry

You just thought I was being a namby pamby didn't you...:smile:

The cut is on the joint one away from the knuckle but I can see redness over the knuckle now and a little on the back of my hand. I will head home soon (have a painful cycle :smile:) and have a look at it when I get home.

Bu@@er!:smile:

PrettyboyTim

Hope it heals soon, Magnatom! I did something very similar last time I redid the sealant around my bath. Cut straight in to the middle finger of my left hand, but luckily(?) in the fleshy pad at the end. As far as I remember I superglued the edges of the wound back together and put a plaster on it tight and it healed quite well. I have since been told that the use of domestic superglue on such wounds isn't clever as you don't know what other chemicals they've added other than the base cyanoacrylate... Oops!

domtyler

Über Member
Always knew he was a wee Jessie. There's a guy on my commute with Leprosy who frequently loses body parts as he goes, that's what you call a real cyclist.

Top Bottom