Uneven saddle wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
Didn't quite know where to post this.
Ayway. Basically I have a Brooks saddle. I've noticed that the logo on the right hand side of the saddle is pretty worn down, whereas the left hand side logo is still perfect. Also it's starting to show slight "buttock indentations" and the buttock indentation on the right hand side is more prominant.

I'm pretty certain both legs are the same length :laugh:, also my current set up I find comfortable and saddle is correct height.

Am I a freak? Should I be worried?

Being right handed I naturally assume it could be due to my right leg being stronger, but wouldn't have thought the difference would be as noticable.

Hmmmm. I think first we'll need a picture of your buttocks, then the saddle, then your buttocks on the saddle :smile:;):biggrin:

Actually I don't know whether that is odd or not. I'm going to have to go and examine my saddle now. Anyway it's not your buttocks, it's your sit bones but feel free to post a picture anyway. :laugh:

I have a tendency to slip just slightly to the left when riding - I presume it is something to do with compensating for the weaker left leg.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get a proper saddle then.........:laugh: hard as nails one.... no wear.... those Brooks things....:smile:

TBH it's just bio-mechanics - if it's not causing a problem then fine.

Davidc

Guru
Needs a picture but I wouldn't worry so long as you're comfy.

I've noticed that happens on mine but I've never bothered investigating why.

'orrible perves, the lot of you. :angry:
As any fule kno the only way to accurately measure these things isn't by drooling over pictures, it's by cupping the respective buttocks in each hand and weighing carefully. This process can take some time but there are noble people prepared to sacrifice hours of their time to reach a conclusion. I suggest you ask Mr Plax to conduct such an investigation. :smile:

PS - don't worry Plax, my Brooks saddles all do the same. I think it's to do with one leg being slightly stronger than the other. Alternatively you may have your saddle set slightly too high, which would cant you off to one side.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Dirty perves the lot of you! :angry:
Just as well Mr Plax isn't here, he thinks this cycling malarky is perfectly innocent :smile:

bonj2

is it pointing exactly dead on straight forward - it may look as though it is unless you look closely but is in fact very slightly out.

xroads

Could be that your bike is off balance eg caused by bent forks, requiring you to exert more force on one side to balance it. If you can ride your bike free handed then your forks are probably ok

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
bonj said:
is it pointing exactly dead on straight forward - it may look as though it is unless you look closely but is in fact very slightly out.

I think it is, I usually check that, but I will double check just for peace of mind.

alecstilleyedye said:
might be related to pushing off, if you use the same leg each time.

Yeah, I think I tend to always push off with my right leg.

TheDoctor said:
Is your right thigh a bit better developed, maybe? Or perhaps the saddle isn't quite perfectly symetrical anymore...

Well, I'll ask Mr Plax later to check out how symmetrical my thighs are!

xroads said:
Could be that your bike is off balance eg caused by bent forks, requiring you to exert more force on one side to balance it. If you can ride your bike free handed then your forks are probably ok

I don't think so, although I haven't ridden non-handed for a while, TheDoctor is a bit of a show off in that regard, maybe I'll make him test it out next time he's over!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Plax said:
I don't think so, although I haven't ridden non-handed for a while, TheDoctor is a bit of a show off in that regard, maybe I'll make him test it out next time he's over!

Oi!
Although I did enjoy playing on a BMX park on Saturday.
On a trike.
*hands head in shame*

Top Bottom