Unfashionable Names

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Frank (Francis) is another uncle stalwart less heard now.

Francis is my son's name. It was also my great-grandfather's name.

RUTHIEBAV

... I've been reading through these chuckling away and feeling very smug when it hit me:
my younger sister is called Jacqueline which is shortened to Jack and then she called her son Jack. So we have Big Jack and Little Jack.

My older sister called her son Aidan, his father (my sister's husband) is Adrian. Its a bit of a tongue twister challenge when they're both in the same room I can tell you.

My younger sister was bullied by all of us to call her daughter "Lovely" ... why, why you ask - so do I to be honest. So her middle name is Loveleigh.

Not feeling so smug anymore:blush:

Ruth (yeah and that's not so great either!)

My mum's name is Dorothy Davies, the Davies being her middle name (family originally from Anglesey), my Dad's name Alan. My paternal g/parents were Ethel and Harry, my maternal ones Annie and Richard (Dick). Annie is now fashionable.
You don't see many Ethels around nowadays but Richard is quite fashionable too.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
User76 said:
Edmund eh? About 15 years ago? Black Adder fan was he?

It might have been a cunning plan...

I have a cat and a son, both named after characters from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The other cat and the other son also have mildly silly names, although they are at least non-slaying related.

I blame my dearly_beloved.

Jezston

Über Member
Just remembered I had a friend at uni who's name was Rod Dunlop. It wasn't until after I'd known him a couple of years he revealed his true name:

Archibald Roderick Buchanan-Dunlop III

Awesome!

He didn't sound terribly posh to me - had a fairly plain if well spoken slightly northern-english accent. However that was apparently a very posh accent for where he came from - Scotland!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Jezston said:
He didn't sound terribly posh to me - had a fairly plain if well spoken slightly northern-english accent. However that was apparently a very posh accent for where he came from - Scotland!

Scottish nobility (who are often English by origin anyway) are far, far posher than English nobs. They have to try harder, you see...

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Jezston said:
Just remembered I had a friend at uni who's name was Rod Dunlop. It wasn't until after I'd known him a couple of years he revealed his true name:

Archibald Roderick Buchanan-Dunlop III

Awesome!

C'mon fella, this thread is for unfashionable names.

Top Bottom