Unfashionable Names

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My best mate was called Rudolph. Needless to say he changed it to Rudi. Which he liked and suited him really well, though he did say he got the distinct impression that it counted against him when he was applying for jobs, people assuming him to be black (which I'm afraid he did feel hurt his chances as often as not).

I'm sure that's less of an issue now than when he was job-hunting 20-30 years ago, tho' I wish I could say with full confidence it doesn't remain to at least some degree 'an issue'. Put it this way: I'd rather be a Nick applying for a job than a Winston...

Fattman

[quote name='swee'pea99']Friend of mine named his (now 11) daughter Edith. Poor wee thing...[/QUOTE]

That was my mother's middle name, so I grew up thinking 'ugh'! However, she was born in 1928, so I guess it's far enough back that in fact it is 2 generations ago & therefore 'available' again.

mark barker

slowmotion said:
I have never met a Ruby aged under eighty.
My ex-wife was called Manjit, but everyone knows her as Ruby. Apparently its a common adopted name amongst the Sikh community.

When we were naming our daughters we tried to avoid either "British" or "Indian" names because both sets of grandparents would love to think they won the battle of cultures! We settled on Raya (Russian), Ellyse (French) and Briahna (Peruvian). We've never come across anyone with the same names, although theres a few Elises around.

Arch

Married to Night Train
brokenbetty said:
Grandparents era names seem to be coming back in: George, Alfie, Elsie, Fred - that sort of thing. Dunno if it's part of the Keep Calm and Carry a Kath Kidson knitting bag or just a natural cycle.

Oh dear, have you been spying on me...:thumbsup:

Contractions of old fashioned names seem to be popular, rather than the names themselves.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Fattman said:
That was my mother's middle name, so I grew up thinking 'ugh'! However, she was born in 1928, so I guess it's far enough back that in fact it is 2 generations ago & therefore 'available' again.

I saw someone say recently you can tell the seriously rich these days by the way they all name their daughters after Victorian parlour maids. Dolly, Polly, Millie, Rosie....

ChrisKH

Guru
Now Winifred, there's a name you never see these days and it was my grandmother's name. She was called Win. Or Goat, depending on how well you knew her.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
One of my grannies was called Gwendolyn. I have no idea why she had a Welsh name, as she was Irish.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
We know a couple called Hugo and Cecilia. It doesn't get much posher than that! I don't fancy taking them down the pub in say, Middlesborough or Govan.

You don't get many Normans these days- shame it's a fine name. I've always liked Cornelius as well. Theres' a fella on the radio commentating on racing with that name - forget his surname though.

Brains

Legendary Member
alecstilleyedye said:
our two week old has the second name ruby…

And I know of a sub 10 year old called Ruby Tuesday, but then I guess if your surname is Tuesday what else would you call your daughter

Top Bottom