Unfashionable Names

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HeyWayne

ianrauk said:
My initials are IRA. My old man bless 'im, used to called me Ira, used to drive me mam potty.

Think yerself lucky - mine are WFC (or WC if you drop the F). WFC growing up in the hometown of LTFC. Brilliant.

My wife said that 'they' are expecting a raft of baby boys to be called Wayne after the World Cup.

She wanted to call out boy Maximus. Luckily Hayden won the day. We thought it was 'fairly' unusual, then you start hearing it everywhere. That and Jayden, bladdy Jayden's everywhere!

U

User169

HeyWayne said:
Think yerself lucky - mine are WFC (or WC if you drop the F). WFC growing up in the hometown of LTFC. Brilliant.

My wife said that 'they' are expecting a raft of baby boys to be called Wayne after the World Cup.

She wanted to call out boy Maximus. Luckily Hayden won the day. We thought it was 'fairly' unusual, then you start hearing it everywhere. That and Jayden, bladdy Jayden's everywhere!

Jayden's remarkably popular here in Holland. I'd never heard if it until Britney Spears used it for one of her nippers!

brokenbetty said:
Grandparents era names seem to be coming back in: George, Alfie, Elsie, Fred - that sort of thing. Dunno if it's part of the Keep Calm and Carry a Kath Kidson knitting bag or just a natural cycle.

We named our youngest 'George' 18 years ago, trendsetters or what;)

Night Train

Maker of Things
brokenbetty said:
Grandparents era names seem to be coming back in: George, Alfie, Elsie, Fred - that sort of thing. Dunno if it's part of the Keep Calm and Carry a Kath Kidson knitting bag or just a natural cycle.
It it certainly seems like Gramps, toddlers and me sharing a name!:sad:

Jezston

Über Member
My sister had a daughter a couple of years ago, which she called Rose - which I think is a lovely name, although is becoming a little commonplace now.

I'm glad it was a girl, because if it was a boy they were going to call it ...

... wait for it ...

Clovis.

Seriously.

CLOVIS.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
the health visitor remarked that it was a while since she'd seen an isobel.

she was nearly an imogen, and there's plenty of those around.

my eldest daughter rhiannon doesn't meet many others…

Wigsie

Nincompoop
alecstilleyedye said:
the health visitor remarked that it was a while since she'd seen an isobel.

she was nearly an imogen, and there's plenty of those around.

my eldest daughter rhiannon doesn't meet many others…

That would have been the name for ours if (actually any of them) were a girl.

Eli was nearly a Harrison, but I didn't want him to be nicknamed Harry like all the chav kids around here.

I wanted Finley to be called Roy but Mrs Wigs put a stop to that, although I managed to sneak it in at the registry office as a middle name, she still has not forgiven me for that! :sad::biggrin:

JNR

I (hopefully) don't need to read this thread to give the ultimate answer. I swear I'm not making this up...

I was in a Merseyside 'Sports Direct' outlet buying some cheap walking boots. The customer service was absolutely appaling, as is often the case in those sorts of shops, but it seemed to be made worse by two women at the other end of the shop buying trainers for their little girls. Very demanding customers they were, but more demanding were their children. I asked to try on a pair of boots, the spotty shop assistant said he would be with me as soon as he could (I'd waited ten minutes already) and then I heard why he was so busy. The mother...

"Dolly?"
"Dolly?!"
"Dolce?!"
"Dolce, get 'ere NOW"

So there it is...Dolce. I then went to the local corner shop and there was a woman in her pyjamas with her kids (also in her pyjamas). It was just before 6pm. I'm not making that up either, sadly.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
JNR said:
So there it is...Dolce.
Made me think of the seaweed though I presume its more Italian in pronouciation.

When I chose my kids names I picked names that weren't that common (though in saying that 2 of them have appeared in this thread), but they had to pass the shout in the supermarket test - Dolce would have failed that:biggrin:.

Top Bottom