Unfashionable Names

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mange-tout

I had a great uncle called Sylvester who always went by the name of Bunny 'cos his surname was Rebbitt. Think he preferred 'Bunny' to Sylvester :wacko:. Sylvester's dad had previously changed the family surname from Rabbitt to Rebbitt to try to avoid any such nonsense for his kids but it didn't seem to work for poor Bunny.

montage

God Almighty
Neil

rich p

ridiculous old lush
cisamcgu said:
I wanted to call my daughter Ada, but was vetoed by Mrs Cisamcgu, and both sets of Grandparents, and both uncles and the aunt, and just about everyone else who heard of my plan .. I suppose it was a bad idea in hindsight .. :smile:

She'd have been your kin, Ada.:tongue:

Vidor06

Long term loafer
My brother in law just had a kid and wanted to go for something a little bit different. Their choices were Hugo, Hector and Boris. IMHO not great choices, in the end they went for Hugo.

blockend

Not so many Les's about now. At one time having an Uncle Les was almost compulsory among us working classes.

I fear I may have opened up a stream of Jim Davidson style jokes with that one. Frank (Francis) is another uncle stalwart less heard now.

montage

God Almighty
threebikesmcginty said:
There's an ancient law, as yet unrepealed, in Kent which allows the same.

The problem is, nobody wants to set foot there to carry it out

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Arnold's a funny one isn't it. I mean, if you were thinking up a name for a Hollywood hardman ('like a condom full of walnuts'...Clive James) would you think 'I know - let's call you Arnold!' (Or, by the same token, Sylvester.)

Top Bottom