Unfashionable Names

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Hacienda71 said:
Lolita
Don't seem to used much :smile:

Well, Lolita = diminutive of "Dolores" which means "pains", which is therefore a good Spanish Catholic name. Not a lot of people know that.

Humbert doesn't get used a lot either. As a first name or a surname.... :smile:

My real name is Tarquin.

taxing

I had a right giggle a while back, I read this article on the BBC listing the luckiest and unluckiest names: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7312412.stm

The unluckiest names apparently are John and Helen. Guess what my dad and stepmum are called. :smile:

battered

Guru
Audrey *is* still popular in scotland AFAIK. I have friends with a 5yo daughter called Edith. Poor thing.

My mum is Dorothy and hates it, it was old even during the war when she was born.

Adolf used to be a traditional German name, very respectable. I understand that there have been no children christened Adolf in Germany since 1945.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Uncle Mort said:
But I know someone who's just christened his kid Stanley, which I thought was pretty brave.

I knew friend who named their child Stanley, known as Stan. At first it sounded strange just as the first time I heard Martha being used but you get used to it very quickly.

But as a child of the 60's you don't notice that many names from that generation being used for children nowadays. Whilst they sound absolutely fine for an adult ... somehow they would seem strange on a child.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Headgardener said:
Recon Ian is fairly safe so I should be OK.

Definitely don't get many named Ian ... I'm trying to think of any I've known - and drawn a blank....

Instead they are Holly, Emily, Ella, Ellie, Alice, Chloe, Eleanor, Becky, lots of 2 names concatenated together.

Boys still have some of the traditional names going such as Sam, James, Tom etc, but with a rise in the Ethan's, Corey, Alfie, Zac, Harry etc. I know Harry doesn't seem new but these days they are Harry on the birth certificate rather than being named Henry and then called Harry.

mangaman

Over The Hill said:
I once had a very posh boss (drove a 1920s Rolls Royce to work in his deer stalker hat) and he managed to make Gary sound classy somehow: sort of Garrr-ahh

Was this during your spell working for Dellzeqq's architecture business? :biggrin:

Strangely I'm a Richard - we were 2 a penny in those days (about 40 years ago) - now you never see a baby called Richard.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Not many Adolf 's about any more are there? Very unfashionable for some reason. :biggrin:

Which reminds me - there is a coach firm round these parts. The owners' surname is Potts. So on the front of Paul's coach is emblazoned Paul Potts :sad:

mangaman

Fnaar said:
Well, Lolita = diminutive of "Dolores" which means "pains", which is therefore a good Spanish Catholic name. Not a lot of people know that.

Humbert doesn't get used a lot either. As a first name or a surname.... :biggrin:

My real name is Tarquin.

I love those ultra catholic Latin names. Calling your child Jesus is a bold move I reckon.

I know a Spanish lady who's first name is Inmaculada Concepcion(sp) which means immaculate conception of course. Not a common name in the UK.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
mangaman said:
Was this during your spell working for Dellzeqq's architecture business? :biggrin:

Strangely I'm a Richard - we were 2 a penny in those days (about 40 years ago) - now you never see a baby called Richard.

I knew a Richard. He said that there was another Richard in his family thus:-
"There are two Dicks in our family" :sad:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
mangaman said:
I love those ultra catholic Latin names. Calling your child Jesus is a bold move I reckon.

I know a Spanish lady who's first name is Inmaculada Concepcion(sp) which means immaculate conception of course. Not a common name in the UK.

But was she? Immaculately conceived I mean :biggrin:

Top Bottom