Unfashionable Names

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
Uncle Mort said:
Mortimer's not terribly popular at the moment.

But I know someone who's just christened his kid Stanley, which I thought was pretty brave.

My nephew, his dad, his dad, etc. are all called Stanley.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
We have a trad 'little old lady' neighbour who comes over to feed the gerbils and the fish when we're away. She's called (you'll never guess) Edna.

ChrisKH

Guru
My parent's names are ultra unfashionable - Derek & Barbara. They got quite upset when I said I wasn't going to call my kids after them. I think my youngest son would have hated being called Babs.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Uber Canvey ;)

ChrisKH said:
My parent's names are ultra unfashionable - Derek & Barbara. They got quite upset when I said I wasn't going to call my kids after them. I think my youngest son would have hated being called Babs.

ChrisKH

Guru
Uber East End and Sarf of river more like. Mum was from Woodford and Dad from Charlton.

But then most of Canvey come from that sort of stock.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Of course when you hear Babs every one must think of Babs Windsor.. and not that over acting old trollop version in Eastenders.. but the bubbly one in the Carry On movies...

OP
OP
G

gary r

Guru
mark barker said:
Thanks for mentioning Doris... Now I've got the urge to listen to a 5-star LP! (could be worse, could've wanted to listen to Clive Dunn I suppose)

Naming children is so hard, I'm glad I'll never have to worry about that again!

Doris from 5* used to be my neighbour until i moved last year.

I hate being a Gary - but always have! I did not even get a middle name to have an alternative.

Gary's get a really bad deal. They are always some lout (men behaving badly) or the dopey plumber in dramas. The bloke on the "go and train for a trade" ad on tv a while back had a van with "Gary's Electrics" on it.

I once had a very posh boss (drove a 1920s Rolls Royce to work in his deer stalker hat) and he managed to make Gary sound classy somehow: sort of Garrr-ahh

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Know what you mean...I was never that chuffed to be an Alan - and then along came bloody Alan Partridge, and it's all been downhill from there. Seems to have become shorthand for 'loser'. *sob*.

Top Bottom