Unfashionable Names

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cascad

Über Member
I worked at a place near Camden once, our receptionist / typist (it was in the 80's) was named Beryl.

Never heard of the name since!

taxing

My grandma was called Bertha. She went by her middle name.

brokenbetty

Über Member
Grandparents era names seem to be coming back in: George, Alfie, Elsie, Fred - that sort of thing. Dunno if it's part of the Keep Calm and Carry a Kath Kidson knitting bag or just a natural cycle.

Plax

Guru
My nain was a Gladys. I quite like that name.
I don't see many Edwards nowadays. There are two in my family, and one Edwin. So it is usually Eddie (Edwin), Ed (or Woody) and Little Ed (or Lightening). Mr Plax's name is shortened to Ed (it's not Edward or Edwin either - it's Welsh bet nobody can guess what) so it can get all very confusing.
There are 2 Francis's in my family as well. Usually referred to as Little Fran and fat Frank (the black sheep of the family).
There are also 2 David's. They are referred to as Dafydd & Toby Juggs.
I don't know how half these nicknames come to fore, my family is just strange.

One of my Uncles is called Mervin, but people call him Cedric. One of my Aunts is called Grace, but people call her Liz.
I have another Aunt called Kathlene which doesn't seem very popular nowadays either, she's referred to as Kash. So it seems that even back in the day they were not very popular names.

U

User482

brokenbetty said:
Grandparents era names seem to be coming back in: George, Alfie, Elsie, Fred - that sort of thing. Dunno if it's part of the Keep Calm and Carry a Kath Kidson knitting bag or just a natural cycle.

My grandmothers were called Lilian and Edith. They always seemed such old fashioned names when I was a kid!

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Both my brother (Matthew) and I (Timothy) have 'good, traditional, Biblical names'. Not going out of fashion any day soon.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Legs said:
Both my brother (Matthew) and I (Timothy) have 'good, traditional, Biblical names'. Not going out of fashion any day soon.

You haven't got another brother have you too - cos if so I claim you as my cousins!

U

User169

The guy I share an office with has the rather fine name:

Wilhelmus Theodorus Johannes Christiaan (+ family name)

al78

Guru
There are several Joan's and Jean's at my local bridge club, but I have never heard of anyone with those names below the age of 60.

Valerie seems to have been popular in the post war era, again, have never met anyone young with that name.

Maizie

Guru
My mother's name is Eileen, and every other Eileen I have ever met has been within two years of age of her.

C n u t [to get past the filter!] (or, if you really want to, Canute) is one you just don't hear.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I wanted to call my daughter Ada, but was vetoed by Mrs Cisamcgu, and both sets of Grandparents, and both uncles and the aunt, and just about everyone else who heard of my plan .. I suppose it was a bad idea in hindsight .. :wacko:

Jezston

Über Member
Uncle Mort said:
I used to work with an American bloke called k n u t. :wacko:

I went to school with someone who's surname was Knutson. He just pronounced it 'nutson'. Shame.

My name is, as you may have guessed, Jeremy. I've never been terribly keen on it as a name as I've always felt it sounds a) a bit silly and; :wacko: very posh. I usually stick with Jez except when introducing myself to someone not from the UK as I get sick of having to explain "no it's JeZ with a Z not Jess. It's short for Jeremy. Yes, Jeremy. No, no that's fine you can just call me Jeremy".

Nowadays I just play up to the presumptions that people think I'm either a) posh (I went to grammar school so speak proper like although it always annoyed me that people would assume I was 'privileged' in some way despite having a single mum teacher as my only parent and them having way more stuff than me) or; :biggrin: Jewish (growing up in suburban N London with a sister called Hannah saw to that).

Mobile phones still think I'm Jewish. If you haven't already corrected it, try typing in 'Jez' on your phone keypad and see what happens.

Top Bottom