Unfashionable Names

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
A friend of my wife's called his firstborn son Amadeo (pronounced, apparently, a-MAY-dee-oh). Truly bizarre.

My missus says she would have been called Benton if she were a bloke. Still never found out from my outlaws what the rationale behind that was...

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
My real, full and unabridged name is Reginald Poncenby Tarquin Willoughby Boocock. None of those names are fashionable. I weep nightly.

Bayerd

Über Member
swee said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Gladys made a comeback in the next few years

Bromptonaut said:
My son's female classmates (14-16) all seem to be either Annie, Anna or Katy

My daughter's an Annie, now 14 months old, we thought that there wouldn't be too many others.....

Dave Davenport said:
I've got a mate who's middle name is Beaver, as was his father's and father's father etc.

nothing wrong with having beaver in the middle....

For the record I'm an Adrian, mostly rare enough to not have to use my surname at work (everyone else knows me by my nickname), middle name Gordon, can't see that one coming back thanks to Jilted John....

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Barry is an abbreviation of Barrington, and is obviously a top class name.

I have never met a Ruby aged under eighty.

Anybody seen an Eric recently?

My daughter goes to school with a girl named Hepsibar. West London is seriously odd.

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
I wanted to call my son Augustine, after my grandfather and an uncle, but the wife wouldn't agree so he was named Martin....after me!

My sisters ex-husband's middle name is Cuthbert, which we only found out on their wedding day during the vows. That caused a ripple of mirth!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Ashtrayhead said:
I wanted to call my son Augustine, after my grandfather and an uncle, but the wife wouldn't agree so he was named Martin....after me!

My sisters ex-husband's middle name is Cuthbert, which we only found out on their wedding day during the vows. That caused a ripple of mirth!

Ashtrayhead, there is nothing bad at all about naming him Martin.

We get by, somehow....

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Legs said:
Nah, just the two of us.

Well I would have been surprised if you were one of my cousins ... all of them think the bike is a creation of the devil! and wouldn't be seen near a cycling forum.

Bayerd said:
I know a Ruby, she turned 3 last week..

I know quite a few Ruby's (though definitely not as common as muck) and the same with Annie, and I have come across one child called Eric.

My teenagers' friends tend to be lots of Jess's, Abi's, Alice, Beth, Beccy, Ciara, Clare, Claudia, Ella, Ellie, Hannah, Lauren, Molly, Nicole, Sophie and Zoe (for the girls names - they are the ones I can think of that they know a number of)
Probably the most common boy's name amongst their friends would be Matt.

Top Bottom