unfit and no stamina

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
I cant keep sitting on by backside and took the plunge and bought a new Felt QX65 Hybrid to get fit

I haven't really done any sport since my late teens (does fishing count :biggrin: ) and now at 48 realise I should have done more

Took the bike out for the past two days,first one for about a mile just to get used to riding and the bike and the second time about 2 miles.

The only way to get back home is to end the ride up a hill and it nearly killed me :wacko: ,even on the flats my legs were hurting

Legs were like jelly and out of breath,I expected it to be hard but not like this :ohmy:

My plan was to do the same small circular route round the estate for about two weeks so I dont end up embarrasing myself and end up too far then ringing the Mrs to pick me up

Any tips on increasing stamina most welcome

Oh and due to something pre-diabetic (cant recall the name) I cant drink glucose based energy drinks

Thanks

Trevrev

Veteran
I've been there, and i'm sure alot of others on here have too.
You've just got to keep plugging away. The fact is you're unfit and you body isn't liking the change!
It'll soon get used to it. But remember, don't do too much too soon.
Not only will it hurt, but it'll put you off doing the excercise. Take it steady.

Trev.

OP
OP
2wd

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Thanks Trev

I meant to add, should I have a rest day or bearing in mind we are only talking a small 2 mile ride, do this every day

I have also been looking at adding some bar ends to get me up those hills

I never realised how fit my old man must have been before he suddenly passed on recently

He used to ride miles every day on his old 5 speed drop handle

dongo

Regular
I was similar to you a year or so ago, had done very little exercise for quite a while. It takes some effort to overcome that inertia so well done for getting this far.

I reckon the best advice is:

1 - Don't give up, it will get easier, it will get more enjoyable and it's worth the effort.

2 - Don't overdo it, getting an injury isn't going to make you any fitter. Do what you can and increase in small increments.

3 - Mix it up, for general fitness improvements try to do a range of activities - walking, jogging, cycling, press-ups, basic weights - it'll be more interesting and exercising in different ways will be better for overall fitness and reduce the risk of injury.

4 - Set realistic but challenging targets and track your progress towards them with achievable milestones - helps to maintain motivation

5 - Don't compare yourself to others, their circumstances will be different, record your performance and use it to gauge your improvement

In your case I'd start by riding a little further each time on the flat and not worrying too much about the hill, this will help build some general stamina. See how far you get up the hill but don't be afraid to walk.

When you're doing four or five miles regularly on the flat leave keep going the same distance and work on going further up the hill each time.

It worked for me.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Just keep at it, it will get easier soon.
smile.gif

My experience was that it took about two weeks to not feel like I was about to die after a very short bike ride, and ached a lot to start with, but in time your body adapts and soon you'll be fine.
bicycle.gif

OP
OP
2wd

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Thanks for the encouragemnt

Makes me feel much better already :thumbsup:

Bobtoo

Über Member
The above is all good advice but you might want to be smarter with your gears, I think that's what got me through the "wall". Legs on fire- change down, legs spinning wildly- change up. Don't bother too much about road speed, just try and keep a decent cadence up and use the gear that allows that. I've seen talk of 90rpm on here but I think 60rpm is a good cadence to start with.

You might want to look at the way you've set the bike up too, a small tweak to the seat or handlebars can make a big difference. Make sure everything still spins freely and the tyres are fully inflated.

it really is amazing how quickly you get into it, and it's great when you sail past a point where you had to stop before.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Whenever I'm struggling, I remember the first ride I ever did on my bike, cycling home from the shop. I was ready to sell it on eBay after the first mile and would have been happy to give it away by the third. That was in January. Last month, I did 85 miles and although I struggled on the last stretch home, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as that first ride!

Trust me, keep at it and it does improve.

OP
OP
2wd

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
How about fitting the bar ends,has that helped anyone?

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Time.
Forget any quick fixes, fiddling with equipment, buying a more expensive bike, the only thing that works is keep going at it, and not giving up.

My fitness is due to initially committing to commuting in every day on my bike (6 miles), and pushing it every day. Then came from monthly weekend rides climbing hills in the area - 35 mile rides, then pushing up to a 50 mile Sportive.

Take some measurements now (resting heart rate, leg circumference, waist, weight), and then again in 6 months, and not before. Then you will see clear evidence of increase in strength and fitness.

OP
OP
2wd

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
well I have just fitted my little trip computer and took the bike out

What I thought my first outing was 1 mile turned out t be 1/2 mile, and my second was 1 mile not 2 :biggrin:

So my third outing just now,ended up being 3 miles and what a difference the 3rd dayhas made

Ok,bit out of breath,legs a little tired but the difference between day 1 and day 3 is fantastic

adjusted my seat another 1" up as well,so think that helped

Thanks for all then advice chaps

And to anyone in the same boat as me.......

Keep at it :biggrin:

e-rider

crappy member
you've been 30 years without exercise - what do you expect?

the key thing is don't do too much too soon otherwise you get muscle injuries and the like.

Build up slowly and within a year you'll be like a new person!

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I was similar to you a year or so ago, had done very little exercise for quite a while. It takes some effort to overcome that inertia so well done for getting this far.

I reckon the best advice is:

1 - Don't give up, it will get easier, it will get more enjoyable and it's worth the effort.

2 - Don't overdo it, getting an injury isn't going to make you any fitter. Do what you can and increase in small increments.

3 - Mix it up, for general fitness improvements try to do a range of activities - walking, jogging, cycling, press-ups, basic weights - it'll be more interesting and exercising in different ways will be better for overall fitness and reduce the risk of injury.

4 - Set realistic but challenging targets and track your progress towards them with achievable milestones - helps to maintain motivation

5 - Don't compare yourself to others, their circumstances will be different, record your performance and use it to gauge your improvement

In your case I'd start by riding a little further each time on the flat and not worrying too much about the hill, this will help build some general stamina. See how far you get up the hill but don't be afraid to walk.

When you're doing four or five miles regularly on the flat leave keep going the same distance and work on going further up the hill each time.

It worked for me.

Superb post !!!!!

I have nothing to add other than good luck

Tyke

Just keep doing a little more each ride but don't overdo things and it will come.

You have done the hardest part by making a start. Well done.

Top Bottom