Unfriendly/arrogant cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mick1836

Über Member
Hi
I don't know if it's only me that has come across this when out cycling, but when other cyclists pass me going the same way or from the opposite direction, they don't bother greeting when I do so.
It seems worse the more expensive their bikes are.
Has anyone else experienced this while out on a ride?
Eric

Tut tut, is that a Raleigh ones riding?
snob.png

Milzy

Guru
I've found if I'm deeper into the country side everyone is friendly. The closer to a city centre you are the more unfriendly. I'm not bothered either way, it's the same for the running community.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Ooh, how do I start a money-making thread?

'tis easy.

Look for a topic that is repeated over and over on a regular basis. The same old thing repeated with the same old cliches. Extra bonus pennies if you find one that resorts to stereotyping ie Roadies are too up themselves to say hello. That type of thing.

I got on my train this morning and nodded and said hello to all the commuters I got not one nod or hello back. I did get a seat to myself though.

I then waved at every passing pedestrian on my walk from Liverpool St Station to work and offered them a cheery hello. I got not one wave or hello back but I did get a slightly achy wrist.

I didn't really do this as it would be considered a bit weird but why is it not considered not weird when out on the bike?

I do wave or nod or say morning etc but sometimes I can't I may be descending on a fast corner, sometimes I'm chuffing my big fat backside up a hill and have no words available and don't really want to take my hand off the bars or I could have just nodded or smiled and you missed it or I just may be shy or I may be one of those people who just may not want to.

If someone wants to wave and chat great, if they don't great. I was out this weekend and I really cannot remember those who waved vs those who didn't and I have enough strife in my life for it to be quite nice for me not to worry about it.

Glass Kites

In terms of acknowledging other riders, this has been on my mind for a while and I can't figure out what the other guy meant...

It was early one sunday morning (a few weeks back now), and I was riding alone down fairly quiet lanes. I saw a group of about 6 riders coming towards me. As we passed I looked at the leading guy and gave him a nod - and he turned his head and looked at me and tapped his nose twice in a sort of 'keep this a secret/mums the word' sort of way, and disappeared.

I immediately assumed I must have had the leftovers of some snot-rockets all over my face or something, but no, I was "all clear". I laughed to myself at the time as I was quite bemused. It's been driving me crazy ever since! What could that have meant?

martint235

Dog on a bike
I just thought. I do say hello to cyclists some times. Usually going up hill as I glide past whilst dropping down a gear to accelerate, I'll offer a cheery hello, I may even wave.

Scoop

Regular
I
In terms of acknowledging other riders, this has been on my mind for a while and I can't figure out what the other guy meant...

It was early one sunday morning (a few weeks back now), and I was riding alone down fairly quiet lanes. I saw a group of about 6 riders coming towards me. As we passed I looked at the leading guy and gave him a nod - and he turned his head and looked at me and tapped his nose twice in a sort of 'keep this a secret/mums the word' sort of way, and disappeared.

I immediately assumed I must have had the leftovers of some snot-rockets all over my face or something, but no, I was "all clear". I laughed to myself at the time as I was quite bemused. It's been driving me crazy ever since! What could that have meant?

I am doing this to everyone I see from now on. Genius haha

Just from my point of view I find entertainment in people that don't like to be cheery. There's a chap I seem to keep seeing on my rides and he's not one for greetings. With this in mind I've now gone from a nod of the head, to a hello, to a wave and hello and I'm now at sitting up, waving and sayings 'greetings'.
Pretty sure I got a smile out of him with the last one.

OP, I shouldn't take it personally. Have a little fun with it.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
I got on my train this morning and nodded and said hello to all the commuters I got not one nod or hello back. I did get a seat to myself though.

I then waved at every passing pedestrian on my walk from Liverpool St Station to work and offered them a cheery hello. I got not one wave or hello back but I did get a slightly achy wrist.

I didn't really do this as it would be considered a bit weird but why is it not considered not weird when out on the bike?.

I guess people expect a little comradery like motorcycle riders seem to have. You dont walk to the station for fun, you dont get on the train for fun, but a lot of people do ride bikes because they enjoy it so they feel they have something in common with other cyclists. I dont expect any replies back from other bikers though or get ofended if they dont reply to me. Personally I think the camradery is there, if I break down I will usually be questioned by other cyclists if I have everything I need, thats worth more than a wave.

On the other hand, he has a point, I posted something funny here once and not one of you liked it!

If i had posted in on the range rover forums I would have been inundated with likes, they are a happy bunch.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Hi
I don't know if it's only me that has come across this when out cycling, but when other cyclists pass me going the same way or from the opposite direction, they don't bother greeting when I do so.
It seems worse the more expensive their bikes are.
Has anyone else experienced this while out on a ride?
Eric

Absolutely, all of the above.

I say 'morning,' and if I get no response, I shout 'MORNING!' It's a bit childish but a bit of a laugh.

A lot of these people think they're so cool. It's easy enough embarrassing them if I'm going in the same direction: by overtaking them on a 40-year-old home-made singlespeed that cost £10 from a scrap yard...

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I say 'morning,' and if I get no response, I shout 'MORNING!' It's a bit childish but a bit of a laugh.
You said it.

When motoring was in it's infancy and cars were few and far between drivers greeted each other as they passed. Now the roads are full of cars they don't.

When cycling was a geek sport we greeted each other as we passed. Now the roads are full of bikes not everyone does. Who friggin' cares?

Top Bottom