Unhinged, at any speed! :-)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Water is a lubricant, it may also result in rust, but still a lubricant. Other end of scale is free run grease or steam oil. 592029

Since today it seems is international cycling day, well may be as it says Saturday 3rd got out to take some photos. There is no worse combination to water, thick oil and coal.

OP
OP
LardAbove

LardAbove

NO WD-40 was used in the fitting of my new GEL seat...

51222904313_75ab388c96_c.jpg

:bicycle:

LardAbove

OP
OP
LardAbove

LardAbove

The first thing to 'leap out' at me, on the road, were the abysmal ratios 👎

The SA is, literally, StumpPulling in 1st. (... therefore proportionately low across the 3).
I have a 20T sprocket and reckon 16T will 'spruce things up' :okay: >> ordered a horseshoe link too! [1/8 - 1/2] to shorten chain, if req.

Because I prefer the handlebars 'well up'.... The brake cables are too short :sad: >> full kit of lined [white] sleeve + barrel end cable is on it's way.

Still rolling along, meanwhile, so All Good :hello:

LardAbove

Last edited:

Legomutton

WD40 is neither a thin oil nor lubricant. :okay:

Paraffin, near enough, I believe. There's some mineral oil in it but as the rest of it is practically my degreaser of choice I wouldn't use it for oil, although I have found a squirt in my car locks stops them freezing solid in winter.

Unless it's just another WD-40 myth, I though WD came from "water displacement/displacer".

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I've never been a fan of the standard AW ratios (25% down, 33% up). I commuted on an SRC3 for years and never really used low gear. I used high gear for downhill and, 95% of the time, it lived in normal gear.

If you get a chance to try one, the AM (14.3% down, 16.6% up) gives you three gears you can actually use. It's ideal for the flatlands as it gives you a headwind gear and a tailwind gear.

OP
OP
LardAbove

LardAbove

@rogerzilla ..... Yes, m8

Fag Packet calcs here... SA pos2 [ 1:1 ]
145cm x3 = 4.4metres (16T)

145cm x2.4 =3.5metres (20T)

25% lengthening of forward roll/pedal rev :okay:

LardAbove

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
@rogerzilla ..... Yes, m8

Fag Packet calcs here... SA pos2 [ 1:1 ]
145cm x3 = 4.4metres (16T)

145cm x2.4 =3.5metres (20T)

25% lengthening of forward roll/pedal rev :okay:

LardAbove
I don't understand that.

The ratio of the hub is (sun teeth+planet teeth)/(sun teeth), which is 1.33:1 for an AW and most other SA 3-speeds*.

In low gear your basic chainring/sprocket ratio is divided by 1.33, i.e. 25% lower.

In high gear your basic ratio is multiplied by 1.33, i.e. 33% higher.

The jumps between the gears are the same, if taken as a geometric progression.

*Sachs 3-speeds are a little wider

OP
OP
LardAbove

LardAbove

I think Position 2 on the SA is 1:1 so the two gears are fixed Big/Little.
My calc was the difference (as a %g) of meters travelled forward/per pedal crank rev.

I have since recounted the small SA cog and it is, in fact, 18T.
My 16T fitted will make a 16% difference (more forward per rev) not 25%.

Still, split across the SA under/over gearing P1 or P3 .... It is an improvement.
*likely not have to chop chain :notworthy:

LardAbove

Kell

Veteran
It's not entirely true that WD-40 isn't a lubricant, but it does have a specific use in its original formula i.e. it penetrates and lubricates stuck parts to loosen them, but you shouldn't use it as a replacement for oil.

They do do a range of other cleaners, lubricant and degreasers - though why they didn't then give them different formula numbers baffles me. That is, they could have WD-40 - the original, then have, for example, WD-50 as a chain lubricant etc.

uk_wd40_bike_dry_lube_100ml_front-2048x2048.png.webp
uk_wd40_bike_cleaner_500ml_front-450x450.png.webp
uk_wd40_bike_wet_lube_100ml_front-450x450.png.webp
UK_WD40_Bike_All_Conditions_Lube_250ML_Front-01-450x450.png.webp

WD-40 BIKE range - maintain & extend the life of on & off road bikes (wd40.co.uk)

Last edited:
Top Bottom