Unique Cycling Tour...Riders Wanted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
Well you have plenty of opportunity to notice it on a bike. Wrong time of year, but the commute takes in plenty of blackberries, elderberries, wild hops, some sloes, and....roadkill. There's generally a dead pheasant on the road every couple of months. I've never collected them, but I've been close. You know they're fresh if you do the route twice aday, tho I guess someone who know's their stuff would be able to tell. A fresh badger appeared this week!

The blackberries, the couple of times I bothered to stop last September, I was picking a 1-2 kg per hour. Hardly made a dent in what was out there. Inexustable suppy, at least for my uses.

I dunno if you could eat well from foraging, but it can't be any worse than a couple people I've seen on tour - just chomping bowls of cheap museli to keep going and no eating out or cooking. It sounds like a step up from that. Then again, some people have zero interest in food.
I did once pick up a pheasant, but I was driving. I had to whizz to the local town to pick up something, and on the way back 15 mins later there it was. It had obviously run into someone's wheel as there wasn't a mark on it. Luckily my Mum in law lives locally and knew exactly how to prepare it - these days I have a book and there's the internet (this was in about 1988!). I would do it again, it was delicious!

I have a recipe for badger ham but it's now illegal to possess any part of a badger (I think there's some exemption for bristles...?) so I'm not trying it. It's in a brilliant old book of around 1940 about game, includes recipes for heron, squirrel, moorhen and various small birds.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
There's an old tv programme about a bloke who eats road kill. He was hardcore but concluded that badger was pretty horrible to eat.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I did once pick up a pheasant, but I was driving. I had to whizz to the local town to pick up something, and on the way back 15 mins later there it was. It had obviously run into someone's wheel as there wasn't a mark on it. Luckily my Mum in law lives locally and knew exactly how to prepare it - these days I have a book and there's the internet (this was in about 1988!). I would do it again, it was delicious!

I have a recipe for badger ham but it's now illegal to possess any part of a badger (I think there's some exemption for bristles...?) so I'm not trying it. It's in a brilliant old book of around 1940 about game, includes recipes for heron, squirrel, moorhen and various small birds.
This is it! Worth a gander.... so to speak :biggrin:

<edit> I've just watched it again and he loves the badger! False memory syndrome.

Last edited:

Ganymede

Veteran
Drawings like Janet and John books!
I love Rule 9 - Bestow a blessing on the roadkill :biggrin:
http://www.wikihow.com/Bestow-a-Blessing
Love how it ends up with a glass of whisky! Quite sweet really. I've realised I actually do that quite a lot, as I'm often the person at a dinner or tea or party or whatever to propose a vote of thanks or toast. I'm an incurable public speaker who is unembarrassed about expressing feelings but without embarrassing anyone else! I also know how to keep it short...

over on Shaun's CookingBites forum I have posted up some nettle soup, nettle bread and nettle cordial recipes. I have yet to post up my favourite which is nettle gnocchi!
must post up the nettle pesto recipe as well...

Is it possible to link to them?

Otherwise I will have to register separately wont I? Am not a foodie as such but these sound interesting.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I trust you aren't contemplating extreme measures.
Depends on how long we're surviving for, as the Breakfast thread showed, people like their 'bacon' sandwiches :-)

No, I just view a well fed forager as a better bet than an emaciated one!

ah, silly me - should have guessed, as now and again when googling for some cycling info I've found my own posts on here without having to sign in

many thanks.

I have rather simple tastes in food - I can see myself living off nettle a fair bit - love greens.

I'm seriously interested in joining you. At the moment I'm currently not in work so haven't got any work commitments to get in the way; the down side is, I'll probably be back in work by the time June comes round and won't be able to commit to the trip. What's the latest date you need to have a definite "Yes, I'll come along"? Obviously the sooner the better.

OP
OP
smith4188

smith4188

Veteran
I'm seriously interested in joining you. At the moment I'm currently not in work so haven't got any work commitments to get in the way; the down side is, I'll probably be back in work by the time June comes round and won't be able to commit to the trip. What's the latest date you need to have a definite "Yes, I'll come along"? Obviously the sooner the better.

I've got six or so people who are very interested. A few of them also have a good reason why they might not be able to make it. (One of them needs to sell a house.) Life gets in the way of rides like this. PM me your email address and I will keep you informed of anything important that happens during the planning. I'll need a definite yes (or as close to a definite yes as I can hope for) in mid-May, a month before we set off. There'll be no hard feelings if you can't eventually make it. Life's like that. But it would be great to have you along.

tournut

I've got six or so people who are very interested. A few of them also have a good reason why they might not be able to make it. (One of them needs to sell a house.) Life gets in the way of rides like this. PM me your email address and I will keep you informed of anything important that happens during the planning. I'll need a definite yes (or as close to a definite yes as I can hope for) in mid-May, a month before we set off. There'll be no hard feelings if you can't eventually make it. Life's like that. But it would be great to have you along.
Hi i was going on a long year out touring but been put off. I will def join you. If you like. Just send me more info please.

Top Bottom